Fruit must with whitish haze

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone ,Nice to be here . Be gentle with me ,its my first post!
My Elderberry wine must (2 days since started ,) has a bit of white haze of top . I must admit ,mould seems a possibility , it has been kept in a warmish place for the 2 days ,yeast was added when it had cooled down from the boiled water on the crushed beries and orange rind ,juice .
Could this be a yeast film ,cant see any bubbles or activity as yet . I added the suger tonight ,all of it !!
Wondered if I should add a camden tablet now ? (I have put it into a sterilised demijohn and bottle ,with a cotton wool bung to let it bteath and put it by the rayburn :?
Thanks

Conan,I too am a newbe.I would think the campdon would kill or slow the yeast you added.Stir twice daily.There are also other post about this.Search it out and you will have plenty to read.What kind of yeast? what was your SG?I have 8 gallons fermenting right now........Upper

Did you add any type of sulfite in the beginning as that what it sounds like to me, sulfite that was not dissolved properly. If you have not added any sulfites then dont do it now until at least fermentation is going really strong but I wouldnt add any unless it gets worse and then immedialety add it when fermentation finishes.

No ,I did not add any sulphite at all .
I must admit the recipie is a quite old one from my mothers WI wine making book that she gave me a long time ago .She actually has been making wine for 40 yrs but I dont want to ask her;)
I have just checked it and it does seem to be working ,I did add a few teaspoons of Yeast nutrient ,rightly or wrongly !
My only experience of making wine ,is making quite a few batches of rice and raisin wine that was fermented in 5 gallon buckets and then demi johned !
Rocket fuel! But quite a different technique!:b

Hi Con, welcome to the group. I'd be interested in hearing about this raisn rice wine. Tell me more. Sometimes it's fun to make rocket fuel.
Troy

i may be the first to try this. I was waiting for the crumpets to sho up in the recipe Con, but i want to try it.

I would still like to know what a "social wine" is.

Got me interested. Anyone else.
Troy
Thanks for the link, sounds interesting, will read it and get back to you.

I got worried this morning ,so I dissolved a campden tab in boiling water ,and added it to the jar:<
I shook it up . I not think this is perhaps wrong . Tell me someone ,if campden tabs will kill the mould ,so to speak ,whats to stop it killing the yeast? I know the 2 things are not the same but it made me wonder!

Latest posts

Back