Fruit-grape wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hippie

Reaction score
I am thinking of making a 3 gallon batch of muscadine wine from 18 pounds of fruit I have frozen and was thinking of just mixing it with a grape base and going ahead and making 5 gallons instead. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what grape would go good with Muscadine?

Hey Country, I have been thinking about your inquiry since I read it the other day. Although I have not experienced Muscadine grapes personally, but from what I have been told about the acidity of the Muscadine grape, (correct me if I am wrong) that a "complimentary" base would be along the lines of a "high concentrate" of something like a "Concord." I have tasted many concord grapes and found them both somewhat sweet as well as some beingtart. I guess depending on the crop that year. Although we can control the desired taste I thought I would give my 2 cents on the subject.

Well, I thought about concord. I am just not usually fond of it. I might use Niagara concentrate and make a semi-sweet blush. Any thoughts?

Now that would be interesting come to think of it. The Surinam Cherries that I got from a neighbor are very tart and I would think that Niagara would be a very good base to compliment a "tart" fruit. I have used "Welch's Niagara" concentrate quite often in the past for one gallon experiements and for the price of $2.00 a can....not bad at all. I would probably go that way vs. using the Concord as well!

Thanks Joe! You convinced me when you brought up the complimenting fruit point. I agree. Concord can be as musky as muscadine, so I don't believe that would be very complimentary. On the other hand, Niagara can be aromatic and spicy and I might can end up with a sorta German style semi-sweet or a little drier blush. Sounds good to me.

Latest posts

Back