Fruit fly protection

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amen. I'm fighting them with everything I can find. Fly paper in addition to the traps will help.

I make traps from plastic water or soda bottles and bait them with apple cider vinegar with a couple drops of liquid dish soap. My “winery” is an unused 10x10 bedroom and I have 10 traps that I leave out and baited whether wine is fermenting or not.
Cool, yeah I have 3 now. Its strange though only one is attracting them

The best defense I've been able to come up with involves three elements: 1) a lid on the fermenter, 2) a plastic membrane with sewn elastic (like this one), 3) the CO2 coming off the fermentation.

During a fermentation, within a few seconds the CO2 gasses are trapped by the membrane. On more than one occasion I have found dead fruit flies laying on the lid of my fermenter. Those pesky little bastards climb in under the elastic and the environment underneath doesn't have enough oxygen for them to survive. They are literally climbing to their deaths. The lid provides an additional barrier and they simply cannot breath. Perhaps an entomologist could weigh in...

Here's a pic:

IMG_0488.jpeg

Last edited:
The best defense I've been able to come up with involves three elements: 1) a lid on the fermenter, 2) a plastic membrane with sewn elastic (like this one), 3) the CO2 coming off the fermentation.

During a fermentation, within a few seconds the CO2 gasses are trapped by the membrane. On more than one occasion I have found dead fruit flies laying on the lid of my fermenter. Those pesky little bastards climb in under the elastic and the environment underneath doesn't have enough oxygen for them to survive. They are literally climbing to their deaths. The lid provides an additional barrier and they simply cannot breath.

Here's a pic:

View attachment 93246
Pretty much how I had mine. The bucket lit laid loosely, than a t-shirt elastic tied on. Now I sealed the lid tight and put the shirt back over. In a few days I'll air lock it. Should be done fermenting by than. It went from 1.112 to 1.010 in 3 days

Latest posts

Back