Fruit fly - Carboy - Fermenting Bucket

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cl6610

Junior
Reaction score
I started my first wine kit 4 weeks ago, it was in the fermenting bucket with the lid NOT tightly pressed down/closed as I've read to do.

My question is - Why is there such a concern for fruit flies getting into the wine through thecarboy airlock- when fruit flies can just as easily get into a "loose" bucket lid - or even the little hole on top (does anyone know what purpose that little hole does?)

Cindy

Cindy, I'll try to answer this question in short. As you know, in primary fermentation, the yeast needs oxygen to reproduce. Rapid yeast cell growth occurs when the conditions is right. This includes the proteins to make new cells, therefore nitrogen is required to produce the proteins needed. Nutrients are also needed for correct fermentation. When one makes a "home-made" wine from fruit or grapes, the correct balance plays a great importance in the outcome of the final product.

In a wine kit, all these additives are presumed to be in balance. Some wine kits suggest the use of the primary in first stages of fermentation using an "air-lock" provided in the lid of the bucket. For fear of the "demon" fruit fly, I have never used the lid other than to cover while I rack. Alot of winemakers suggest using a piece of 6 mil clear plastic attached to the bucket> I use "bungee" to secure the plastic. This method has worked great for me knowing that there is no possible way that the demons can enter while I am on guard. An periodic "peeking" allows ample oxygen during primary fermentation to be happy.

Hope that this helps.
smiley17.gif

Back