Fruit flies! Yuk!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any tips on reducing these little bastards. They are so gross.
I would suggest looking online for traps or whatnot, and making sure that you keep a airlock or something on your wine to keep them out, if they get into the airlock it wont hurt just keep them out of the wine, I am sure some other people will give more advice, I have been seeing a lot of posts from people saying fruit flies have been really bad this year. I dont think we really have them where I am at as i have not seen any.

I had them in droves. Found an easy DIY trap that worked wonders, in only hours. I couldn't believe it. Get a mason jar, fill with about an inch of apple cider vinegar, add a drop or 2 of dish soap to break the surface tension, give it a little swirl and then place a piece of paper shaped like a funnel into the top. The little buggers cant help but fly right on in and they don't get out.

I tried the version where you place saran wrap over the top of the jar and poke holes in it. It worked, but no where near as well as the paper version.

2 or 3 of these around my wine and they left it alone. My entire house was actually free of them within 2 days.

economist-fruit-flies-trap-home-made-by-using-paper-glass-jar-and-vinegar.jpg

Latest posts

Back