Fruit Flies - Ugh!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my wife like to use the fly strips with the fruits and vegetables on them. They seem to work OK! Will have to try the bottle trap!

Not sure whats worse....sharing the wine with the flies or using a bottle to catch flies instead of filling it with wine

I've relocated my winemaking operation from the kitchen table to the basement... between the cooler temperature and the subterrian depths, seem to have kept the fruit flies at bay ;)

I still have the vacuum out and with the vegetables/fruits starting to subside as we make tomato soup, apple sauce etc. they are dwindling. I am always on the prowl.

Darn fruit flies have been buzzing me more and more in the house lately so yesterday I got a little saki container out and put some wine and dishsoap in it. A dozen flies trapped in 24 hrs. It's nice not to see them roaming around anymore.

Fruit flies 1   9 30 10.jpg

Why the dish soap? Why can't it hit the site of the bottle?

The flies will not enter the bottle? I thought that was the whole idea.

If you hit the sides of the bottle with the soap they will detect the soap and not fly in the bottle which as you mention is the whole idea.

In this trap the Wine is the bait and the soap is the "poison". It coats their spiracles and they suffocate as they require diffusion to breath. Silly invertebrates and their primitive oxygen delivery systems.

My problem is someone is always picking up the bottle and saying "What's this?" There goes another trap. When I say "Don't Touch This" does that not sink in. I still like the vacuum.

Just when i get to the point that the fruit flies are gone - i find a ripe banana left out all night by the kids :m

And that means more fruit flies to catch...

Hey Tom, while my Ridgid 6.25 16 single barrel works excellent for immediate termination, I have taken your fly stip to the next level today. I wired a dixie cup to the bottom of it with a tad bit of fermenting juice in it. Holy crap I did that this morning before heading to Walkers and when I got back they had more on them in a days time then they had on them over a three week period. I didn't even think I had that many around.

Haven't had that much of a problem with fruit flys, but I believe you could make wine in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and yellow jackets would come to it. Them little buggers really hurt when they sting you

Semper Fi

Latest posts

Back