Fruit flies death

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlabruz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These thing are everywhere. I Just started a Fwk today trying to keep everything covered at all times. Dame things were all over the paper towel covering my starter.... been using the vinegar trick for a few days. Works pretty well.

I make traps with empty water or soda bottles and bait it with apple cider vinegar and a couple drops of liquid dish soap. I have 10 of these in my spare bedroom I call my “winery” and keep them baited whether wine is Fermenting or not. They work very well. I keep them in 6 pack bottle holders so they don’t tip over btw.
Most vinegar is pasteurized but if not sure the acetobater kill temp is about 130 F so if one is concerned about cross contamination it would be easy to pasteurize it yourself.
I’m not sure that is necessary though since my understanding is that acetobater is practically ubiquitous in nature and probably on grapes on the vine anyway.
I’m no expert on the subject but have read that practically all fruit flys have it in their gut biome. In my non expert opinion it seems the risk of contamination from vinegar is far more acceptable than the risk of a fruit fly infestation because sooner or later one must uncover the must.

@FlamingoEmporium That's my experience too. I've found that a cheap red wine works better than vinegar. Like any bait trap, it works best if you remove all other food sources. When I go into extermination mode on fruit flies, I insist that my family keeps all fresh fruit and vegetables in the refrigerator, and promptly dispose of fruit/veggie trimmings.

I'm intentionally making vinegar with some of my wine. (Another endeavor requiring patience.) Holey moley it's like a fruit fly magnet!

I have two going side by side and they definitely prefer the older more vinegary one.

Latest posts

Back