Fruit Flies Be gone

Discussion in 'General Wine Making Forum' started by Scooter68, Oct 11, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Oct 11, 2019 #1

Scooter68

Scooter68

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker

About every 4-6 weeks I refresh my airlocks with clean sanitizer solution.

Interestingly this year was a bad year for fruit flies in my basement winery work area. Used a vinegar trap and caught a few, very few.
    So today it was Airlock-Refresh day. I found out where all those Fruit flies went to. Body counts ran from 2-3 to a dozen or more in some airlock. Weird thing is very few were visible until I emptied the airlocks in my sink. Good news is of course when you use StarSan in the airlocks, they can't swim through that for long.

Sorry if you thought this was an idea for getting rid of Fruit Flies. My experience with the vinegar trap is meh, something you can do but... they seem to know Apple Cider vinegar from the real deal and they prefer the real deal.

Maybe next time I'll dip out a couple of ounces for the must and put it in a trap.

2. Oct 12, 2019 #2

salcoco

salcoco

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker WMT Supporter

using the must is better than vinegar

3. Oct 12, 2019 #3

Scooter68

Scooter68

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker

Clearly the results point that out. AND I don't like the idea of having any open vinegar around the wine.

4. Oct 12, 2019 #4

1d10t

1d10t

1d10t

stewbum

I've used a funnel sealed with 'perma-gum', kind of like modeling clay, in a canning jar with banana as bait to good effect.

5. Oct 12, 2019 #5

Scooter68

Scooter68

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker

Good point about the banana. I need to pay more attention to what gathers the most in our kitchen. we have a counter top container (With a lid) where we place our compostable kitchen scraps. So I suppose it would be wise to watch what draws int he most. Bananas definitely get a good crowd of FF's.