Fruit Flies barrier

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_S

Reaction score
I'm about to use some new equipment so not completely familiar with it yet. I'm about to use a 150 liter steel fermentation tank that came with a dust cover lid and floating lid that goes inside. Wondering how to best keep fruit flies out of tank during primary fermentation? Don't think dust cover is for this purpose or would prevent fruit flies from entering so what would most people do to keep fruit flies out? I have been thinking of getting some plastic window screen material and using this. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Rob

Since I do most of my fermentations in vessels without a "tight" lid on them, my inclination would be to put something loosely over the top, like a towel, a sheet, a lid sitting loosely on top, something of that nature.

Your vessel sounds like a variable capacity tank, if the dust cover is made to sit on top, it may be just what the doctor ordered for fermentation, while the "floating" lid is installed and adjusted to the volume of wine post fermentation to limit headspace and exposure to oxygen.

Besides what Johnd has said, get a fan and have it blowing across your tank.

Thanks, yes it is a variable capacity tank. Did some further research and the dust cover would not be tight enough to keep out any fruit flies so I will purchase a muslin sheet. Apparently window screen is not fine enough to keep them out safely. Moving from plastic fermenters to this tank so its a bit of a learning experience.

Rob

You should listen to Julie, she is 100% correct, by using a fan you create a wind curtain. These are big fans mounted over doors that blow down and out to keep flies out, you find them being used at stores, warehouses, and so forth. And if you ever notice places like Costco, and others will have fans blowing in the open produce area, there is a reason for it.

good luck Bill

Hi Bill, you're right, Julie's idea is great and so is John's.

Happy winemaking,

Rob

Latest posts

Back