Fruit and Wine Press

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huba Huba

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
does anybody have suggestions/sources for a reasonable priced fruit/wine press. Maybe less than $250? Most of the ones that look well constructed are pretty expensive and the cheap ones are, well cheap. No local source and reluctant to purchase from amazon just based on ratings.

does anybody have suggestions/sources for a reasonable priced fruit/wine press. Maybe less than $250? Most of the ones that look well constructed are pretty expensive and the cheap ones are, well cheap. No local source and reluctant to purchase from amazon just based on ratings.
Where are you located? I went through my local Craig's List (Columbus, OH) and saw several fruit and wine presses. Prices and condition vary but if you are willing to do some clean up and reconditioning, you can find some bargains.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/atq/d/mc-kees-rocks-antique-fruit-and-lard/7598560175.htmlhttps://dayton.craigslist.org/atq/d/brookville-cast-iron-fruit-press/7602811919.html

If you have tool using skills building a press is easy. The hardest part about pressing is what will you use to create force? A jack? or acme screw? or pneumatic cylinder? or in my case 600 lb reverse acting bar clamp? The more force you can produce the larger basket you can push. Pneumatic is good since it takes less watching.
Nothing anywhere close, I live in a pretty rural part to southern Missouri. Thinking that I may just try making my own. I do little wood working and there is plenty of white oak milled around here.
The traditional sausage stuffer has a lot of iron in its basket which is bad on acidic juices. Coming out of the food industry I don’t like wood equipment. My first and second baskets were six and eight inch PVC with holes drilled. (It helps knowing a plumber) At this point I also have stainless baskets and a traditional Acme screw/ wood basket.

There are several threads on WMT where folks have posted photos of their fruit presses.

There are no less than ten presses listed right now on FB Marketplace in Pittsburgh priced from ninety (homemade from wood) to six hundred (over-priced “antique”).

If you want to make one from scratch, here is a link to an article from Winemaker Magazine with text and drawings.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back