frozen strawberries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mersydo

Junior
Reaction score
i froze about 18 lbs. of strawberries yesterday in preparation for making strawberry wine next week.
how long should i freeze them?
most importantly, what is the best way to thaw out and then get the juice out of them for the wine??

also, i froze a small amount of rhubarb about a month ago for rhubarb wine. can i use the same thawing/juicing process for it as for the strawberries?

Fruit only needs a few days frozen. You freeze to break open the cells that hold the juice and it allows the enzyme and yeast to breakdown/feed upon the natural sugar.

You could partially thaw them in the refer a day then add them to your primary. You'll be pouring water over them which will expedite their thaw. Make sure you push down your fruit at least once per day to slow oxidation of the fruit.

And finally, yes to thawing rhubarb.

I have 21 1/2 pounds of frozen strawberries awaiting 10#s of peaches to blend with it.

I say freeze them until yopu have 30# and make a 6 gallon batch. Strawberry wine goes fast. have 12 gallons in bottles and it wont last the summer

I would use a ferment bag, paint starining bag, or some nylons. It will still need to be pushed down each day, maybe twice, but having it in a bag will be a lot more managable.

I freeze them in a freezer ziplock bag for 24 hours - then i let them thaw in the ziplock bag for 24 hours. Then i just strain the juice off.

smart @$$ remarks, aside Artic has it. jJust let it ferment in a strainer bag. It works great, you will get all the flavor out that way and it is a easy way to get pulp out before moving to secondary. Save some berries of get some more for a flavor pack

Better yet. I just froze 40# of strawberry. Now what I do is then put them in my Steam Juicer. I either use it right away or put it in "canning" ( Ball) jars for future use.
Now remember you will need 30# min (36-40#is better) for 6 gallons and 9# for a f-pac.
Strawberry is weak in flavor, so you will need more

Better yet I picked up 5 gallons of strawberry juice yesterday at Walkers that is already fermenting away next to its sister miss rhubarb.

Latest posts

Back