Frozen must to Fresh Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinb

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to the game, but have used frozen must from Brehm before. It turned out good. I was informed by them that they deliver fresh grapes not too far from where I live. I'm trying to decide if its worth it to make the jump from frozen to fresh for Cab Sauv.

Price comparison: 5gal pail around $250
Fresh grape around $4/pound ( Fresh comes destemmed)

What am I looking at in terms of steps, and equipment to get from the destemmed grapes to must.

Will wine be that much better for a newbie.

Justin, outside of your question and you can call me a tight wad if you like, but those prices are really high which is why I don't use Brehm. I realize cost is somewhat dependent on location however in Virginia I can get premium quality grapes for $2.00/lb from numerous sources. Brehm advertises they sell only quality grapes and frozen must and it is probably true although it's hard for me to imagine they are better or even equal to what I buy. My point is don't limit yourself and see what else is out there.

If you already did a frozen must you should already have what you need with regard to procedure and equipment. If you don't already have a press and plan on making any kind of volume you may want to consider buying one. Other than that just your normal chemicals and MLB if you plan on going that route.

Fred....You raise some good points. Brehm does have grapes that are $2/lb, but I'm not sure on the quality. Maybe it won't matter.

I'm not sure of anywhere near Chicago that ships fresh grapes besides Brehm. Anyone have a connection?

If I proceed with fresh destemmed grapes, will they be crushed or will I need a crusher? I already have a press.

Fred....You raise some good points. Brehm does have grapes that are $2/lb, but I'm not sure on the quality. Maybe it won't matter.

I'm not sure of anywhere near Chicago that ships fresh grapes besides Brehm. Anyone have a connection?

If I proceed with fresh destemmed grapes, will they be crushed or will I need a crusher? I already have a press.

I'm sure there are plenty of places near Chi-town that bring in fresh grapes. Perhaps @vacuumpumpman can chime in.

If you've done Brehm grapes in the past, then at least you have something for comparison. Below are a few fresh grape distributors in the Chicago area, my recommendation would be Colavita & Son grapes from Produce World. Some of the other suppliers like Santa Fe and Chicago Wine Grape, may not answer the phone until they have grapes in September.

Produce World, Ltd., Noridge, IL call Steve (708) 452-7400 produceworldinc.com

Caputo's has grapes and juice, you usually have to call for information. (630) 579-3300

Perfect Brew, 619 E Park Ave, Libertyville, IL, 847-816-7055, perfectbrewsupply.com

Santa fe grape distributors located on 3500 S Racine, Bridgeport, IL, (773) 376-7505

Chicago Wine Grape Distributor, 2701 23rd St, Broadview, IL, (708) 343-0336

Caputo's will have grapes for sale. Also Chicagoland Winemakers in Elmhurst. And Oak & Vine (c/o John Duich 847-875-7081) in Arlington Hts.

Is there a certain type you are looking for ?

I know of several u-pick vineyards within the area - Most of the time when it comes to a good quality of grapes - I need to place my order with a group buy back in the early July

Caputo's will have grapes for sale. Also Chicagoland Winemakers in Elmhurst. And Oak & Vine (c/o John Duich 847-875-7081) in Arlington Hts.

I did not know that John Duich started up again ? I will have to give him a call - Thanks

Back