frozen fruit vs fresh

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winechef

Reaction score
So I've made dozens of 5 gallon batches of blueberry wine,I usually use frozen berries but I've noticed that it usually stalls out at 10 percent after 7 days, then takes about 1 month to fully ferment.
but when I use fresh fruit, at the same time, same ph, temp, sugar content etc. fresh fruit fully. ferments steady in about 10 days to 2 weeks.
why would frozen fruit stall more?

Weird.
I freeze the fruit from my yard and the few times I've bought frozen fruit it was always organic. I've never had a problem.

While it seems there's a direct correlation in your case, there are so many variables, physical and metaphysical. I'd swear my mood and the alignment of the planets play a role in my ferments. Sorry, I'm no help.

Like BigDave I run most fruit through the freezer. Like Dave I haven’t seen this?

? it is possible that the end of year ferments with frozen fruit are at 65F / basement temp and running at 75F would eliminate the issue. ,,, (first guess/ I see this in September vs November batches of apple)
? it is possible that some minerals (alkaline buffer salts) or sugars are crystallizing while frozen ,,, (with blue berry I don’t know what might crystallize/ lower pH has given me stuck ferments)
? back to temperature/ time of year, the solubility of CO2 is higher at low temperature > CO2 creates carbonic acid and drops the pH, ,,, yeast don’t like pH below 2.8.

Same here. I made a lot of batches using frozen fruits and never got stuck. Is your process exactly the same using fresh and frozen fruits? Kmeta, nutrients, yeasts ?

My blueberries are bought frozen. no additives or chemicals it says but never really know.

they stall around 11 percent ABV. then finish off to dry 14% in carboy takes about a month. but my fresh peaches, plums, cherries, grapes ferment dry in less than 2 weeks with same conditions. it's just weird.

but maybe the frozen bags have a preservative and doesn't say

I would try to find other frozen blueberries and ferment exactly same process. It will not answer your question but may help seeking it.

My blueberries are bought frozen. no additives or chemicals it says but never really know.

they stall around 11 percent ABV. then finish off to dry 14% in carboy takes about a month. but my fresh peaches, plums, cherries, grapes ferment dry in less than 2 weeks with same conditions. it's just weird.

but maybe the frozen bags have a preservative and doesn't say
Dragons Blood is made specifically with frozen berries.

Back