Frozen Fruit, namely Jackfruit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tstryke

Junior
Reaction score
Something I was thinking about while my first ever kit is fermenting, was possibly making wine from Jackfruit. I spend a lot of time traveling all over the world for work and I've had this on a few occasions. Very good when it's prepared properly. Since we have a few Asian markets close by I could get the fruit fresh but it is a real pain to get the actual fruit out of it. After doing some searching, I found I could get 20 lbs of organic frozen jackfruit for a somewhat reasonable price.

When making wine from frozen fruit, is there anything specific that needs to be done with the fruit (other than thawing) assuming that the only ingredients in the fruit is the fruit itself? I figure it would have to be crushed/mashed but I'm more concerned with any type of special ingredient that may be required.

Thanks in advance!

For the (non-grape) fruit wines I have made, I have always used kmeta/campden tablets in the must 24 hours before pitching the yeast, to kill off any wild yeasts. Other than that, some fruit recipes call for acid and/or tannin. If the S.G. from the juice isn't high enough, you may need to add sugar or simple syrup. Oh, also yeast nutrient and maybe yeast energizer. And pectic enzyme will help the fruit break down faster.

I wouldn't necessarily count those as special ingredients but they may be more commonly used in (non-grape) fruit wines than grape wines.

* freezing is a common way to encourage juice to leave the cell structure when making wine. No problem here
* I like to put the pH of country wines at 3.2 to 3.4. Can you measure pH? The literature says Jack fruit comes in at 5 to 5.5 so you need acid for shelf life . ,,, TA at 0.4% which is good for flavor
* potassium metabisulphite is normal, target is 50ppm free SO2
* many fruits are steeped in water to extract the flavor and acid. The ratio may take a little playing. For many fruits four pounds per gallon is the minimum and 100% juice is the max.
* a good wine has a flavor you like! ,,, In working with mulberry I decided lemon helped bring fruit notes out, so I toss out lemon as a natural acid source/ flavor enhancer.

Last edited:
Back