Frozen Concentrates

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fsa46

Reaction score
Now that Welch's is no longer making the frozen concentrates, what frozen concentrates are you using that DOESN'T HAVE PRESERVATIVES in it.

Here is a list of the ones I have used and the last SG reading.

Elderberry 1.002 Has been aging 4 months. I didn't check SG when I re-racked at 3 months.
Peach .994
Concord Grape 1.000
Sweet Dark Cherry 1.016 when put into secondary. I forgot to check again when re-racked at 3 months.
Merlot .992
Zinfadel .992
Cab Sauv .992

Here is a list of the ones I have used and the last SG reading.

Elderberry 1.002 Has been aging 4 months. I didn't check SG when I re-racked at 3 months.
Peach .994
Concord Grape 1.000
Sweet Dark Cherry 1.016 when put into secondary. I forgot to check again when re-racked at 3 months.
Merlot .992
Zinfadel .992
Cab Sauv .992

Thanks! I have done their peach and sweet cherry. Like you, the peach was fine but the cherry didn't finish like it was dry. If it is something to do with solids, that's fine. I wish I knew.

I’ll try to pull some tonight and check the SG on it. Original fermentation quit at 1.020 and I tried everything to restart it. Finally added more sugar and it kicked right off. I’ve got a thread on it here somewhere.

I’ll try to pull some tonight and check the SG on it. Original fermentation quit at 1.020 and I tried everything to restart it. Finally added more sugar and it kicked right off. I’ve got a thread on it here somewhere.

Well that's interesting! I never thought to add more sugar. That certainly points to the idea that it fermented dry and the SG reading was due to something else - like solids.

I wish I knew more about solids.

The idea of adding more sugar came from someone on the forum here. They had mentioned unfermentable sugars, so I decided to add more sugar to see if it would start fermenting again. It worked, so I added enough sugar to get to the alcohol content I wanted provided the fermenting stopped at 1.020.
I went and checked the SG on it tonight and it’s at 1.016 after 4 months of aging. It tasted so good I had to bottle the extra gallon I had of it.
82E84A81-C1C4-4103-88C1-15C0A5443508.jpeg

1.016 seems very sweet to me (but I like dry wines), are they sweet to your palate, or am I doing something different?
I noticed the 1.040 SG, DAWG would like that!

Last edited:
Thanks! I have done their peach and sweet cherry. Like you, the peach was fine but the cherry didn't finish like it was dry. If it is something to do with solids, that's fine. I wish I knew.
My peach stopped at 1.006. It is dry not sweet at all. My blackberry and raspberry both stopped at 1.010.

Latest posts

Back