Frozen Chilean Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand the possible confusion!!!

I have never made any of these particular juice buckets. I also am a little confused about them.
Do they also come with the other necessary chemicals? They do NOT come with any other chemicals but they ARE pre-balanced
Are they pre-balanced?
Do they require yeast nutrients? I didn't add any yeast nutrients to the last batch I got.
Can they go through MLF? That's the confusing part to me. The wine maker up at L'uva Bella, where my buckets came from, said it's not necessary to go through MLF unless you plan to age more than 2 years.
What instructions exactly come with them? The instructions are pretty vague at best. I believe there's some guidance on the buckets but they're not much help. You have the flexibility to oak them the way you want along with other enchantments.

I guess I am wondering if they are more like fresh grape juice that needs all the processing of such, or are they more like a kit wine, which only requires simple stabilization and clarifying?

I would put them in between kits and Frozen must (like Brehm's) as they are balanced but that's about it.

I'm sure others will chime in too

Steve

Thanks. Sounds like they should be treated as fresh juice without all the DAP and other stuff having been added. Also sounds like it is up to you concerning doing an MLF.

Apparently the yeast, which they put in the bottom of the bucket does not have a high nutrient need. Otherwise they would either have told you to ad nutrient or they have already added it. That is a big question mark. I believe. I would sure ask specifically about nutrients. Then again, maybe the yeast they pitched has a low nutrient need. (???) Do they tell you what yeast was added?

Last edited:
I know we all want to end up with the best possible wine, but I believe you guys are over-thinking this! Mosti Mondiale's Chile Fresco is probably the easiest wine there is to make - everything is ready to go once it defrosts, no *need* to test, balance,or supplement in any way (of course, if you want to do those things, you can, but it's not necessary). The wine I have made from frozen juice has been some of my very best, except for wine from fresh grapes. Some say it may be a little 'thin', but I don't feel that way. Good structure, good acidity/alcohol. And it's easy - no grapes to press, about the same amount of sediment as a high end kit wine. All you really have to decide is three things - how long to bulk age, how much/what kind of oak to use, and whether to do MLF. No water to be added, no yeast rehydration, no agonizing over which yeast to use - just warm it up and let 'er rip!

I know we all want to end up with the best possible wine, but I believe you guys are over-thinking this! Mosti Mondiale's Chile Fresco is probably the easiest wine there is to make - everything is ready to go once it defrosts, no *need* to test, balance,or supplement in any way (of course, if you want to do those things, you can, but it's not necessary). The wine I have made from frozen juice has been some of my very best, except for wine from fresh grapes. Some say it may be a little 'thin', but I don't feel that way. Good structure, good acidity/alcohol. And it's easy - no grapes to press, about the same amount of sediment as a high end kit wine. All you really have to decide is three things - how long to bulk age, how much/what kind of oak to use, and whether to do MLF. No water to be added, no yeast rehydration, no agonizing over which yeast to use - just warm it up and let 'er rip!

Nah, not over-thinking it, just wanting to know the facts so one can exercise a degree of control.

As I said, I have never done a frozen bucket, so I have no idea what to expect.

Still, it seems unusual that they would not do "anything" except pre-pitch the yeast. However, if I think about it, it sort of becomes obvious they pre-pitch the yeast so just in case the bucket thaws out before it is supposed to, at least wild, native yeast won't be able to start the fermentation.

Sorry, I'm not one to just "let 'er rip!" :h
I even enjoy picking my own yeast strain.

I believe the L'uva Bella juices are laced with ec-1118 which would explain why you don't need nutrients.

harleydmn said:
Luck,
I thought this site was for all of us to help each other out, and no question was a dumb question. Now I'm told to figuring out on my own and get a notebook! I guess I was hoping for some more info about yeast nutrients and energizer.

My apology for misinterpreting my post. The suggestion about getting a notebook was to keep track of what works, how you overcome problems, and how to remember what you have done to each batch. The buckets are supposed to be Acid adjusted, but I titrate each time and have found the actual TA to vary from year to year. There are no instructions that come with a bucket, which is why it is helpful to talk to people at wine supply stores and look at kit instructions to guide you on how to complete the wine making process.
The amount of yeast nutrient to use is on the package, I need to use it to get the yeast I'm pitching an advantage over any other yeast. I don't use energizer .
I only meant that you should have fun with the buckets as you are more on your own than with a kit where you are following their instructions.
Wishing you a successful wine making experience :)

INSTRUCTIONS???

I have been getting fresh juice in Oct (California) and May (Chile) from the LHBS for the past 2 years.
The only instruction I ever got was: "Don't spill the juice on the carpet of your Ford Explorer."
Last couple of times I have borrowed a pickup truck. Much less worry about spilling. :)

The one batch I got last Oct is currently in bottles and is FABULOUS!! (If I do say so myself.)

All I do with them is keep in 70-75 degrees until under 1.00 and then rack to carboy, degass (whip and vacuum) at about 20-30 days. From then on its racking from carboy to carboy with sulfite every 90 days. When it tastes good, into a bottle and onto the dinner table.

A bit surprised by reading; I just picked up my Riesling Juice Bucket tonight and the reading were S.G. 1.096, pH 3.1 and Acid 3.25. First two seem in range however the acid seem low to me. However, I've never dealt with Riesling Juice before so what do I know. Should the acid be this low? I'm figuring with that low of pH I can really up the acid to much so I figure on waiting until after ferment and see what the numbers look like then.

I did split into 3 1/2 and 2 1/2 primaries. The 2 1/2 I added 4 quarts of steamed blueberry juice to it. The pH was 3.0 and the acid was 3.5 however the S.G. dropped to 1.080. I haven't added any sugar and am still undecided if I'll add any to up the S.G.. I know if this wine taste anything like the juice, I got a good one coming. It was all I could do to keep from drinking the juice it taste so good. The blueberry flavor jumped right out and was so smooth.

The acid does not sound right to me.It has to be much higher then that.Did you do your own acid test on it?or is that what the bucket is marked?

Yes, I did my own test. Used a pH meter, 15 ml wine sample, add 0.2N NaOH solution. It took 3.25 ml for the first one and 3.5 ml for the second one to get to 8.2 on the pH meter. I calibrated the meter and even check the first one 3 times, came up the same all three times. My NaOH is a few months old. I'm thinking (which can be dangerous at time) if my NaOH is weak from being old then my readings would be high not low because it would take more to get to 8.2.

Thats how i do my test just that i add 5mls of distilled water to the 15mls of wine.Then i add my .2n solution.So your getting a reading of .325 you should be looking to get a reading of .7 on a white wine.

I figured I should be higher, matter of fact the first time I did the test I added 5 ml of .2n NaOH right off the bat figuring it would be at least that high and the ph meter went up to 11 so I had to dump that sample and start from scratch.

With the pH reading 3.1 I figure I'll finish ferment and test again with a new bottle of NaOH.

I figured I should be higher, matter of fact the first time I did the test I added 5 ml of .2n NaOH right off the bat figuring it would be at least that high and the ph meter went up to 11 so I had to dump that sample and start from scratch.

With the pH reading 3.1 I figure I'll finish ferment and test again with a new bottle of NaOH.
You have to go slow a few drops at a time.Do not dump it in.

Latest posts

Back