Frost coming

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jandrew156

Junior
Reaction score
Well, here I am... the concords have all broken out and for the first time, I can even see all of the flower buds and tiny bunches of future grapes!
Much to my dismay, I checked the forecast for SW Pa here this weekend and sure enough they are saying frost sunday night.
I've heard of some putting a sprinkler on them for the night to protect them...
Some putting a giant fan...
or, even building a fire...

Anyone else have suggestions that might work if I couldn't do the above mentioned???
<sigh> my first year of harvest may once again be delayed!

thanks!

Well, here I am... the concords have all broken out and for the first time, I can even see all of the flower buds and tiny bunches of future grapes!
Much to my dismay, I checked the forecast for SW Pa here this weekend and sure enough they are saying frost sunday night.
I've heard of some putting a sprinkler on them for the night to protect them...
Some putting a giant fan...
or, even building a fire...

Anyone else have suggestions that might work if I couldn't do the above mentioned???
<sigh> my first year of harvest may once again be delayed!

thanks!

How big is the planted area you are trying to protect?

Small.... I have 3 rows of 10....
Although they have now changed the forecast to rain, which will keep the temps higher.
But--- has anyone tried covering them with a very light drop cloth plastic???

I have tried using old sheets/blankets a couple times even going so far as to use clothes pins on the bottom to close them up and they still got burnt. I think the one thing that actually worked was stringing old school incandescent Xmas lights that added some warmth from the bulbs as well.

Small.... I have 3 rows of 10....
Although they have now changed the forecast to rain, which will keep the temps higher.
But--- has anyone tried covering them with a very light drop cloth plastic???

Go buy a roll of 6 mil visqueen, available at any home improvement store, and cover them up, weight the edges down to the ground. Provide a heat source underneath there if you can, something like a torpedo heater would be awesome.

Latest posts

Back