From Bucket to Carbouy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
Just read a post by SPR and a answer by heaterd. Here's how I transfer from bucket to carbouy, and is it okay to do it this way? I make mostly fruit wine and when the SpGr reaches about 1.010 I put a paint strainer over a 5 gallon bucket and dip about a quart of the hulls and juice out and into the paint strainer and squeeze all the juice out that I can get out and pour that into the carbouy. Usually my bucket is full of hulls and seeds and I see no way of racking it out of the bucket and into the carbouy. Thanks for any help.
Semper Fi

Jc5066

Reaction score
Seems like you would be incorporating a lot of O2 doing it that way.

I bag my fruit at the beginning so I can just squeeze out the juice then use a siphon to transfer the liquid. I don't want to mix all those lees into my secondary.

vacuumpumpman

Vendor
Sponsor
Reaction score
@ Ernest
I do believe that you are doing it fine - at this stage O2 will not hurt your wine.

We try all different methods in order to help save time and aggravation and make the best wine we can.

I use a pipe with holes in it and a strainer bag over it and suck it out with a racking cane and then I still have to strain it thru a bag and squeeze it.

DSCN1026 [620x465].JPG

Latest posts