Freshly made wine tastes bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like primary is a one gallon jug with air lock. Lack of oxygen might be a problem, yes?
I suggest for your next batch, pick a combination you’ve already done that has the bad smell. (We still don’t know if you were describing rotten fruit or rotten egg smell). Keep everything exactly the same except ferment it in an open bucket / pail / pot with only a towel covering it. Stir vigorously once or twice a day to introduce oxygen. See if that helps the smell. Rack to your jug either after the SG is the same for 3 days below 1.000 (stabilized), or else once it falls below about 1.010.

your water it does not have iron in it does it, if your water smell like sewer and taste bad, below me in the bottoms the water there whew will knok your socks off,
Dawg
Good point. Never thought about water. The OP didn’t mention water.

@Sukamod, haven’t heard from you in a while. Here’s one other thing to consider. Did you take an initial SG reading? Even adding 3 lbs of sugar to water will give you a pretty high starting SG. Adding 3 lbs to juice could easily put you over 1.160 SG. That much sugar alone could stress the yeast, even with enough oxygen. Seeing a recipe and some SG readings could help.

The outside of pennies (which is all that matters) is still made of copper. So you can still do with pennies and wine that thing that you shouldn't do with pennies and wine. ;)

I am sure what Paul is suggesting is to do a test, put a penny into a glassful of wine, see if it improves the nose. Throw away test sample. Easy test, very safe.

I am sure what Paul is suggesting is to do a test, put a penny into a glassful of wine, see if it improves the nose. Throw away test sample. Easy test, very safe.

Mostly, I was correcting the misconception that crops up from time to time that, because pennies are mostly zinc now (since 1983), that they cannot be used for the test you describe. But the copper is on the outside, so the test works fine with them.

Last edited:
Mostly, I was correcting the misconception that crops from time to time that, because pennies are mostly zinc now (since 1983), that they cannot be used for the test you describe. But the copper is on the outside, so the test works fine with them.

Ah yes, that old saw.

You guys realize that the OP hasn't responded since post 1 right? Lol. Be patient, wait for a response and see. All the information provided, some based on assumptios can be OVERWHELMING!! Lol :rn

You guys realize that the OP hasn't responded since post 1 right? Lol. Be patient, wait for a response and see. All the information provided, some based on assumptios can be OVERWHELMING!! Lol :rn

Actually, OP did respond in Post #4, and and hasn't visited the forum again since the following day. Perhaps OP got what was needed and moved on. There's lots of good information provided afterwards, hopefully it won't go unread................

We've had 478 views so far, so folks are reading this. The discussion has been good and there is beneficial information. Even if the OP doesn't visit again, others may find it useful.

I get something useful from this forum each and every week.

Latest posts

Back