Quantcast

Fresh pineapple wine question

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

tradowsk

Reaction score
I started a 2 gallon batch of pineapple wine at the beginning of July 2018 with ~15lbs of fresh pineapple (without rind). Added white sugar and pectic enzyme and let macerate for a day, then added water and Kmeta, let it sterilize for a day, then added BM 4x4 yeast.

Primary went fine, I racked to secondary after a week (SG = 1.018). I removed the pineapple chunks and squeezed the juice out of them with cheesecloth and added that to secondary (chunks were discarded).

My plan is to do 1 gallon semi-dry with just a little sugar added to bring out the fruitiness, and the other gallon will be a sweet porch-sipper.

But about 2 months secondary ended (SG=0.996), the wine is perfectly clear but is really light in color. Like if I put a sample in a glass, it almost looks like water.

Also, I know the wine is young right now, but it tastes like fermented pineapple and not like a "wine" if that makes any sense.

1) Would it be a good idea to use some brown sugar to backsweeten and add a bit of a caramel or grilled pineapple flavor?

2) Would a longer cold soak and/or extended maceration help with adding more color?

3) Anything I can do to bump up the color of this batch besides food coloring?

4) Would it be better to bulk age in the carboy (under an airlock) or should I bottle it for microoxygenation to happen?

Thanks!

meadmaker1

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I would imbrace the color you have and let taste be the focus.
Perhaps a touch of orange juice would complement the pineapple without interfering with the flavor
Age should mellow this wine. Follow 3 month racking and kmeta protocol for a year.

tradowsk

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice @meadmaker1, just wanted to make sure I wasn't going after a lost cause since I've never done pineapple wine before.

Latest posts