Fresh Peach and Welchs Juice. I

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyb

Junior
Reaction score
I am planning to make 3 gallons of wine using 3 to 4 lbs of my fresh peaches per gallon and 3 64 oz bottles of Welchs 100% white grape juice. I am going to follow the basic Jack Keller instructions for "Peach and Grape Wine" but am using the 100% juice instead of the grape concentrate.

What I am unsure of is how using the juice will affect the instructions on adding 1 3/4 lbs of sugar per gallon. Will the 100% juice yield a different SG ferment than the 12 oz concentrate? If so how can I estimate the amount of sugar to add?

I am also planning to add 1.5 gallons of water to the 1.5 gallons of juice, boil, and then add to the 9 to 12 lbs of crushed peaches in a straining bag, then waiting to cool before proceeding with the recipe.

Any help or comments would be appreciated. Thanks

I am planning to make 3 gallons of wine using 3 to 4 lbs of my fresh peaches per gallon and 3 64 oz bottles of Welchs 100% white grape juice. I am going to follow the basic Jack Keller instructions for "Peach and Grape Wine" but am using the 100% juice instead of the grape concentrate.

What I am unsure of is how using the juice will affect the instructions on adding 1 3/4 lbs of sugar per gallon. Will the 100% juice yield a different SG ferment than the 12 oz concentrate? If so how can I estimate the amount of sugar to add?

I am also planning to add 1.5 gallons of water to the 1.5 gallons of juice, boil, and then add to the 9 to 12 lbs of crushed peaches in a straining bag, then waiting to cool before proceeding with the recipe.

Any help or comments would be appreciated. Thanks
You can boil the water and cool (I do since I have stuff that I don't want in my wine that comes with in my water supply), but don't boil the juice, no need to and it may set the pectins in the juice and you won't be able to clear it.

Adding the juice instead of water and concentrate may raise or lower the SG and make the sugar addition that is in the recipe more or less. To calculate it use either an online calculator or I use http://www.fermcalc.com/ app on my phone. You will take the specific gravity reading before you add the sugar. Put in the target gravity (I usually aim for 1.085 for fruit wines) and the SG that you read, the starting volume (3 gallons or so), and it will tell you in whatever units you pick (ounces, pounds, grams etc) how much sugar to add. It's a really nice app to use when back sweetening a wine.

Hope that helps a bit.

I made a peach wine using white grape / peach juice and used sliced peaches. Made a pretty good wine.
I think this would be better than using water??

Bill

I would use all juice and no water. calculate as above for specific gravity.

Agree completely with peaches. Also expect a very thick must consistency at first. Several folks report the same thing - if ALL peaches the must will have an almost pudding consistency. I used only enough water to dissolve my sugar for the simple syrup. Takes about 2-3 full days for the peaches, with pectic enzyme, to break down enough to get a good reading on a hydrometer. BUT the results for that wine are WELL worth it.

Latest posts

Back