Fresh juice in Florida

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ugh

Reaction score
I moving to Martin County area of Florida and wondering if anyone down that way has a source of fresh juice.

I moving to Martin County area of Florida and wondering if anyone down that way has a source of fresh juice.

Ugh,
I moved to central Alabama from Buffalo, NY 6 years ago and for the past 3 years I have had juice shipped to me from New Jersey via truck. I resorted to kits the first few years for my grape wine, but I prefer the fresh juice. Good luck with your move to Florida and future wine making.

What company do you get it from ? And what do you pay for shipping ?

UGH
You can get Juice from some place in Norwalk I believe You still in CT?. Ask Wade

Last edited:
Yes, I am still in CT. I Get it now from Cali Bros. in Waterbury which is a 5 minute ride for me. I have yet to find a place that sells fresh juice in Florida.
Cali Bros said he would ship it to me but I think it would cost a small fortune.
I generally use 4 6 gallon pails in the fall and 4 more in the spring when the chili harvest comes in.
Hey Tom I was told the Italian harvest would be in soon. Can you recommend anything ?

Last edited:
try www.ginopinto.com
They are in NJ and I know they ship to Alabama. Someone there got 12 6gallon buckets shipped for 130.00 BUT was not refridgerated rec'd in 3 days almost fermented when they got it.
I like the Amarone, Frascati, Valpolicello and Dolcetto for sure. Others are Verdicchio, Montepulciano and Barolo or Brunello.

Cali Bros said it would be shipped with dry ice and by Fed Ex. I can't wait to see what the cost will be. I would bet double that....How is your Malbec going ?
We both started around the same time. I just racked mine last week and there was a little left over so I took a taste and I think we are in for something really great.

Last edited:
My Chilean Malbec is very happy aging in the carboy (12gallons) I added 2 cups of med toast oak.

I wish I bought more of it as I think it will be outstanding. By the way I was able to find a distributor of grape juice in Tampa with all the same stuff I get now so when I do finally move I'm all set. :D

Having a supplier should be a requirement to have nearby to where you may move to.

What company do you get it from ? And what do you pay for shipping ?

Michael at Gino Pinto estimated that shipping would be about 127.00 this year for my 12 - 6 gallon buckets of wine juice. And yes, it starts fermenting on it's own yeast during the trip to Alabama. I add my own yeast and oak when I receive it and let it finish. They are shipping Monday and I should be able to supply s.g. readings later this week if you are interested.

Michael at Gino Pinto estimated that shipping would be about 127.00 this year for my 12 - 6 gallon buckets of wine juice. And yes, it starts fermenting on it's own yeast during the trip to Alabama. I add my own yeast and oak when I receive it and let it finish. They are shipping Monday and I should be able to supply s.g. readings later this week if you are interested.

Below are S.G. readings on my wine shipment, that was shipped Monday from Gino Pinto and received Thursday in Alabama.

Cabernet Sauvignon 1.04 & 1.03
Cab Franc 1.03 & 1.03
Merlot 1.03 & 1.02
Red Zinfandel 1.03 & 1.03
Petit Syrah 1.02
Pinot Noir 1.03
Black Box 1.026 & 1.028

All,
Keep in mind this wine fermented on its way down on wild yeasts in a non refridgerated truck. The starting gravity I sent to her earlier and was normal for the variety.

I would rack now. Becareful as alot of times there is 6.5 gal there. I always rack 1/2 gal off the top just in case. It also will leave some space to degas. I would fill a 750 ml on all anyway.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Italian juices

HERES A FOOT NOTE ABOUT THAT PEOPLE,YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR,,,IE; AMARONE (NOT),BERNELLO NIETHER,////WHAT I MEAN IS I MADE BOTH AND THOUGHT THEY WERE QUITE ACCEPTABLE,UNTIL I TASTED THE REAL THING,NOT EVEN CLOSE TO WHAT THE REAL THING IS LIKE,REAL AMARONE IS DARK IN COLOR ,NOT OURS,AS WELL AS IS THE BERNELLO,HIGH IN ABV. 14% ,but very balanced DID 12 GALLONS AND LIKE I STATED ACCEPTABLE,,BUT NOT CLOSE,WADE YOURS WAS CLOSER,BUT STILL NOT AS RAISIN INTENSE,AMARONE IS LIKE HAVING A RAISIN WINE ,VERY HIGH IN ABV. AND BALANCED. ALMOST A ACQUIRED TASTED,JUST FINISHED A BOTTLE OF VINTAGED 2000 AND A REPRESSO /VALPUCIANO 2005 THE FIRST WAS AT 150.00 PER BOTTLE AND THE SECOND 16.75.....I GUESS THE POINT IS IF THE AVERAGE AMARONE STARTS AT 55.00 PER AND ACCENTS UPWARD AT A FAST RATE..HOW DO WE THEN GET AMARONE FOR ABOUT 50.00 FOR 6GALLONS...BEWARE WHAT YOU BUY....THE OTHER ITALIAN WINES SO FAR ARE ON TIME WITH THEIR CHARTSTICS......

Joe is correct about Amarone. WIth the kits it is an Amarone "type" wine as well the Borolo's. I would bet this fresh juice is a blend. I have made a few really good "Amarone's" from kit. It isn't anything like what I have bought at the wine shop though. I have to say that the true Amarone's I have bought weren't really that much to my liking. As Joe said, it is an acquired taste. To me it is confusing. So dry you feel like you licked sand but there is a perceived raisiny sweetness. It confuses my palate.

Try checking out US Elite Wine. They have winery grade concentrate, we use it in our winery, great products. If your interested give us a call and we can send you a bottle of the finished product.winemaking pantry/lakewood wines,bradenton fl. 941-350-0599

How much for this bottle of wine as I would assume you are not going to send everyone on this site a free bottle of wine although that would be very nice. Are they up and running in their new site now? I inquired a while ago and I think they were in the middle of big move and never got back to me.

Well at least 1 for us Mods right?
I've heard about them but only thru Costco in Canada. Not heard of any retaileer here in the states. I hope its just not for BOP places.

They used to sell to us and even used to custom blend it if we wanted to, is that not an option anymore?

Elite vintners used to sell across the border from canada. Now that they have started US Elite, winery grade concentrate is available to wineries and small kits containing 6.3l of concentrate is available to us hobbyist from a couple of places in the USA. Gem vintners http://www.gemvintners.com/catalog/76d6d23a-406f-4447-a073-e4775bd1464a.aspx and even Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_0_2?url=search-alias%3Dgrocery&field-keywords=us+elite&sprefix=us have their kits for sale. The pinot noir that I started last november is tasting really good now.

Latest posts

Back