Fresh grapes vs Brehms must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like they are shipping 30lbs/5gal bucket. That would be less than the typical 2gal/lug...

But I think the other must distributors sell the 5 gallon pails also. I can’t remember off hand the weight of Brehms and winegrapesdirect pails though. Maybe this company is not selling full pails hence cheaper price.

5 gallons of water weighs nearly 42 lbs., so 5 gallons of must will weigh more. Having used Brehm quite a bit, I seem to have gotten the same amount of wine from 2 pails as I would from 3 lugs of grapes. FWIW, and not perfect science at all, but that would put 54 lbs of grapes in a pail.

Agree with @Johnd above, the pails from Brehm I've received are near 50lbs net, however they are filled by volume not by weight, so the numbers do vary. Typical gross shipping weight is 55lbs per pail.

A little additional info to add. Both Wine Direct and Brehm say on their websites they ship 5 gallons of must that average 3 gallons of juice.

If you try out the other source, let us know how it compares.

Back