Quantcast

fresh grape must bucket

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

gian

Junior
Reaction score
I am a Newby and I am trying mosti modiale fresh grape (LODI fesco Cab) must for the first time, and based on Mosti Mondiale information the must is already pre-innoculated with yeast. The question i have is whether anyone has added additional yeast such as Red Star Premier Rouge or Lalvin EC 1118 to fresh must to improve the fermentation process?

I was also considering adding Oak chips at the primary fermentation stage. Any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks

heatherd

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I am a Newby and I am trying mosti modiale fresh grape (LODI fesco Cab) must for the first time, and based on Mosti Mondiale information the must is already pre-innoculated with yeast. The question i have is whether anyone has added additional yeast such as Red Star Premier Rouge or Lalvin EC 1118 to fresh must to improve the fermentation process?

I was also considering adding Oak chips at the primary fermentation stage. Any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks
I would let the yeast that's in the bucket do its thing. Oak chips in primary are a good idea.

winemaker81

wine dabbler
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with Heather; fermentation oak helps with preserving the grape's tannin and color.

This year I used 1 lb of shredded oak in 144 lbs of grapes (4x 36 lb lugs). This should produce about 1.5 carboys, so I recommend 1/3 lb., 1/2 if the chips are large. The surface area of the oak matters, e.g., more surface area (shredded oak), the more interaction.

Ajmassa

just a guy
Reaction score
Was Mosti able to ship frozen must for you? I remember looking thru their website not too long ago and saw they had quite a few high quality options (seemingly) but they werent able to ship frozen pails at the time.

gian

Junior
Reaction score
Mosti modiale delivered the pails ( frozen must )to a local dealer in Montreal which is about a 30 to 40 minute drive from the mosti mondiale plant. I picked it up within a few hours. The must was in semi frozen condition. Took about 7 hours to get to room temperature. Fermentation started within 24 hours of opening pails.

masic2000

Reaction score

Thanks
I have used Mosti as well and have added oak cubes in my carboys for 3 months after completion of primary. I have also added grape skins during primary(not from Mosti but from a local dealer). Adding oak during primary is great.

gian

Junior
Reaction score
I agree with Heather; fermentation oak helps with preserving the grape's tannin and color.

This year I used 1 lb of shredded oak in 144 lbs of grapes (4x 36 lb lugs). This should produce about 1.5 carboys, so I recommend 1/3 lb., 1/2 if the chips are large. The surface area of the oak matters, e.g., more surface area (shredded oak), the more interaction.
thank you for the info. I used Hungarian oak cubes (amazon) , recommended dosage was 0.5 to 0.8 oz per gallon. surface of the cubes is not as wide as shredded oak but hopefully it will help.
I have used Mosti as well and have added oak cubes in my carboys for 3 months after completion of primary. I have also added grape skins during primary(not from Mosti but from a local dealer). Adding oak during primary is great.
thank you , i am planning to keep the oak in one of the carboys i have for a few months as well and will compare with other carboy.

Latest posts