Fresh Gewurztraminer kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donatelo

Reaction score
I started a Gewurztraminer kit from Grand Cru this morning. I followed the instructions, except, I substituted a Premier Cuvee Packet for the EC-1118 yeast supplied in the kit. It's just a personal preference. The initial Specific Gravity was at 1.064, which I thought was too low. So I added two cups of sugar made into a syrup. This raised the SG to 1.080.
I am considering adding some whole cloves to give it a little spice feel. what do you think and how much , when to add.

I think you should consider playing this one straight. At the end of the process, you could add a few cloves to a few bottles' worth to see how you like it. But I don't think it is worth gambling the whole kit on a guess...

Gewurztraminer is one of the most aromatic white wines roaming the free world. As others have said don't mess with it especially if this is your first time making this varietal. If I were you I would work on expanding your palate since it sounds like you are new to all of this. Its easy to do. Just keep trying new and different wines. This is also one of the most food friendly wines so I am going to recommend eating food with this wine! You have lots homework to do. Get busy!

if really desired to push some additive. wait until wine is finished stable and clear. then experiment with one gallon. I would suggest orange zest and cinnamon, both natural characteristic of the Gewurztraminer

I stand corrected and appreciative. I don't know what I was thinking. Good way to ruin a great kit. It's starting to perk right along!

Thanks for your advice.!

Latest posts

Back