fresh elderberries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my goo favorite is PAM cooking spray to get it solubilized then wash with soap water.
the neighbor tells me that latex paint remover worked well, but check if you want the brand on food surfaces.

youthful flavors tend to be sweeter, old fart flavors tend to be stronger, ,,,, elderberry has a major tannic note therefore a five pound per gallon recipe is an adult formula
hence the long bulk aging
Dawg

Dawg has great info hear. I never wanted to go that high, but it seems time to just use all of it. I even have a ball lock keg that I could put it in for storage. That seems like a great idea.

Hey Dawg what do you mean by this regarding your stainless steel kegs: "I'm fixing to have try clamps wielded on"?

Dawg has great info hear. I never wanted to go that high, but it seems time to just use all of it. I even have a ball lock keg that I could put it in for storage. That seems like a great idea.

Hey Dawg what do you mean by this regarding your stainless steel kegs: "I'm fixing to have try clamps wielded on"?
cough,,, the older style Sankey kegs where you screwed the tap on, it only has a hole for your tap, tri-clamps, i use 2 inch, any way you take a long neck tri-clamp flange drive in in the keg just a little then wield the stainless flange to the stainless keg, i have the flanges, plus the clamp, they make a silicone gasket and a beveled round plug plate, now remember you got to be sure your wine is done and degassed, then fill keg thru tri-clamp flange put gasket in end cap then the tri-clamp, you can leave a little space for a little oxygen, then set into closet, unlike glass it wont break, nor let light in, funny mine are from my teens and 20's,, i got 2# 5 gallon and 3# 15.5 kegs, but the 15.5 get heavy any more, I've looked for more 5's but all i can find are new ones, seems kegs have upgraded in the last 20 odd years, who'd of thunk,, them ball cock ones you spoke of will work, mine i've had for close to 25 years, lol. i'd not looked around in a very long time, after i get mine welded , i believe i'll try them ball cock ones, they are air tight too. and only plastic is the handles, when i was young you drove 50 miles at least one way, so everybody bought kegs, to swap as deposit on full kegs so you did not have a long trip to return when empty, get on e-bay and type in 2 inch tri-clamp,, seeing it,, makes it easier to explain, i gave up drinking when i was 30. till my doctors told me to drink red wine,
Dawg

Hounddawg - I saw in another post that you back-sweeten to 1.040 for all your elderberry wines. Does that include the blackberry elderberry?

Also, how do you handle the elderberry goo issue?

I remember all the old gold did elderberry wine when I was a kid. I’m not a youngster anymore and wish I had their recipes! They had great ingredients then: good berries, great water and time!
yes

Pulled up the truck-clamp and understood now. Makes sense.

got it on the country wine too. Never thought of it like that but your right.It does take a bit of sweetness to bring out that flavor

Latest posts

Back