Fresh Brewer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikey

Junior
Reaction score
I'm new here, both to the forum, site and state (Cali). I want to make wine this year but can't find answers to a few questions. Maybe someone can help. Where should I get grapes? I actually found a couple vineyards but I want to know how many pounds of grapes I need so I don't sound stupid. I want to make 15.5 gallons of wine, so how do I convert that to raw materials? Also, I got the 15.5 gallons as it's the volume of a 1/2 keg (someone said it's the best way to go because light doesn't affect the wine, it's easy to handle, and it's the best to clean/sanitize). What's a good primary fermentor? Is there a timeline out there? When I rack the wine, should I rack it from the keg into the primary fermentor, clean the keg and then return it to the keg? Where can I get a stopper for the keg? And hoses (vampire pump) for transfers? I really appreciate all of the help in advance. I understand that my timeline and learning curve muct be fast as the harvesting will occur in a couple of weeks. Thanks.

smiley19.gif
So I'll keep it simple: Any suggestions on whereto get grapes in California? THanks

Hey, someone out there help.

I would, but I don't have the knowledge starting off with grapes.Edited by: bdavidh

Mikey,

I, too, am not the best source for that information. I was hoping someone would have some answers, but since the replies have been minimal, I will offer a few helpful hints.

1. Get a copy of WineMaker Magazine. A lot of the CA grape producers advertise in it.

2. Do a Google or Yahoo search on "fresh wine grapes".

3. Send me an e-mail and I will forward your request to a friend of mine that may have a source.

Mikey, I don't have the info for obtaining the grapes being that I reside in Hawaii, however, from reading many books and sharing on wine forums, I have learned that many wine makers use various containers large and larger as primaries. The main issue here is that you use a "rigid container" or liner, and that it MUST be of food grade or better. You can get that info by using "Google" and type in "Food -grade containers." Although "all" plastic/vinyl products are labeled as petroleum made but certain made containers are designed for certain approved products, ex. chemical, solvents, food, water, etc. (That's a must to know.)

In a book titled, "The art of Making Wine'" by Stanley R. Anderson w/ Raymond Hull, it explains that as far as "fruit", 15-25 lbs of fruit, get a 7-gallon plastic tub. For 40-50 lbs., use a 12-gallon, for 350 lbs. use a 45 gallon oak or waxed fir barrel, or a "rigid" drum-liner.

Hope this helps as an emergency guide. Last resort, you can always buy the grapes and freeze them like other fruit and take a "breath of fresh air," get totally ready and do it later....

As finally, as far as how much grapes to purchase, I would think the juice yield of grapes would vary from year to year and also depending on the variety. I have done this once with local grapes and according to my records, 17 lbs. of grapes yields about 1-gallon of finished wine, based on my 6-gallons production. This is taking into consideration of the losses during the wine making. Hope that this helps in such an emergency
smiley1.gif

Back