French red wine region

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeroen

Junior
Reaction score
First I wanted to compliment you on this forum. So many experts have gathered here. Only about the craft of making wine. I am amazed.
I have a slightly different question. Hope you don't mind me posting it here. If there is a better section on this forum please let me know. I will delete the thread here and post it there.

Since the start of COVID I haven't been drinking any alcohol. The first time I drink again I want it to be very good red wine from France in France. So I am looking to rent a gîte later this year. Now I have read about different types of wine belonging to specific regions. But honestly I lack the knowledge of which wine I exactly want. I couldn't name the type when I would taste wine. I only know if I like it when I drink it. I am aware of wine indexes. So I tried to base my decision on that. I heard Bordeaux wines from 2010 are great. So my thinking for now is. Search a gîte in Bordeaux and find a place that sells it. But please, if you have a better suggestion. Enlighten me. Merci

First I wanted to compliment you on this forum. So many experts have gathered here. Only about the craft of making wine. I am amazed.
I have a slightly different question. Hope you don't mind me posting it here. If there is a better section on this forum please let me know. I will delete the thread here and post it there.

Since the start of COVID I haven't been drinking any alcohol. The first time I drink again I want it to be very good red wine from France in France. So I am looking to rent a gîte later this year. Now I have read about different types of wine belonging to specific regions. But honestly I lack the knowledge of which wine I exactly want. I couldn't name the type when I would taste wine. I only know if I like it when I drink it. I am aware of wine indexes. So I tried to base my decision on that. I heard Bordeaux wines from 2010 are great. So my thinking for now is. Search a gîte in Bordeaux and find a place that sells it. But please, if you have a better suggestion. Enlighten me. Merci

I'm not saying that I have a better suggestion than staying in Bordeaux and drinking great Bordeaux wines, if Bordeaux's are your favorite French wine. Personally, Bordeaux would be my choice if I had to make one.

Your wine preference should dictate the location you stay in, so if you prefer the Rhone wines, stay in Rhone. If you're big on Burgundy wines, stay there. If you don't know, time to have some fun and do some research, the good kind!! Find and study some wine maps of France, learn the areas, then go to a local carrier of fine wines, and buy some bottles for your research. Don't skimp, get good wines rated over 90 that are representative of the varietals and styles from the various regions in France, Bordeaux's (there are many districts within Bordeaux), Burgundies, Rhone, Loire Valley, Languedoc, Provence, Alsace, etc.,. The possibilities are nearly endless, but have fun trying til you get a feel for what you like, then go there!!

Welcome to WMT!

As I understand your dilemma, you are trying to choose your destination without sampling any before you go.

What can you tell us about your wine preferences? Red or white? Bold? Elegant? Mellow? What descriptors would you use? (Fruit-forward, earthy, mineral, tar, leather, tobacco, cherry/berry)?

And I agree with @Johnd that Bordeaux would be a fine, fine choice.

Thanks for your help guys.

Yes exactly. I wouldn't want my first sip of wine go to 'waste' because of sampling.
Rated over 90 is a good point. That is what I am going for. How high would be possible for around €50?

It is really about red wine for me. I prefer a bold wine. Mellow would be a second.
I don't like mineral, tar and tobacco. Fruit-forward would probably be best. And I am not sure about leather, but I might like that.

Welcome to WMT, @Jeroen ! I’ve lived in France a few times (my wife is from there) and would put my vote in for the Languedoc region as representing some of the best value wines. I think the more dynamic winemakers there are making fantastic wines at a better price than the more famous regions. One I’ve had that I really like in Cascastel-des-Corbiers actually has two gîtes that can be rented: Chambres d'hôtes et Gites en Corbières - grand guilhem. I also love the Loire Valley with its beautiful chateaux and villages and wonderful red and white wines and it’s stunning landscapes in the fall. Where are you located and do you speak French?

Thank you @Cynewulf. Languedoc is a region that people have recommended me more often. Is there any city/village in particular you like? Or where are the wines the best in your opinion?

What do you mean by 'dynamic' winemakers? Stunning landscapes sounds good. One of the reasons for me to pick a region. Quality wine would be first but if I could combine it with hiking/riding a bike in a beautiful scenery. Then I would sign immediately.

I am located in the Netherlands. I can't speak French anymore. I used to speak it after 3 years of French in high school. But that is a long time ago. Maybe I can find a chambre somewhere in my head to polish it up. For what reason do you ask? (besides people there speaking French ^^)

Thank you @Cynewulf. Languedoc is a region that people have recommended me more often. Is there any city/village in particular you like? Or where are the wines the best in your opinion?
Unfortunately I haven’t traveled in the Languedoc so can’t recommend a town, however in addition to the winery I posted before, all the wines I’ve had from Faugères have been very good. In the Loire I had excellent wines from Olga Raffault in Chinon.

What do you mean by 'dynamic' winemakers? Stunning landscapes sounds good. One of the reasons for me to pick a region. Quality wine would be first but if I could combine it with hiking/riding a bike in a beautiful scenery. Then I would sign immediately.
I guess by that I meant winemakers with energy and excitement about making good wine. Generally focused on reviving traditional techniques but not always playing by traditional rules in terms of choice of grapes etc. Often you can find wines that are a great value because they don’t qualify for an AOP designation as they’re either outside the geographical boundaries or uses grapes that aren’t authorized for the appellation. Unfortunately I can’t comment on the biking but I seem to remember seeing really nice bike paths in the Loire.

I am located in the Netherlands. I can't speak French anymore. I used to speak it after 3 years of French in high school. But that is a long time ago. Maybe I can find a chambre somewhere in my head to polish it up. For what reason do you ask? (besides people there speaking French ^^)

I only asked because there is a great channel on YouTube that I watch that has interviews with natural winemakers from all over France that I thought might help with inspiration, though I don’t know if it would be as interesting for non-French speakers: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC_yGn8ygWQYKfWWJ1Oa9QIA/videos.

I have an idea that is mostly motivated by your comments on minerality and fruit: I suggest a Rhone valley destination. I should add that I have not visited my suggestions (at least not extensively).

My first choice for you is St. Joseph in the northern Rhone (more approachable than, say Hermitage). My next choice is the southern Rhone. You can get upscale in Chateauneuf-du-Pape, or you can imbibe in any number of nice GSM blends, all in the same area.

I’ve got very little to offer in the technical phraseology descriptions etc , I know what I like and it’s dry reds, Late February 2020 we traveled to Bordeaux for my fiftieth birthday as my treat just before the covid lockdown it’s a beautiful city, wonderful food ,museums and of course really excellent Bordeaux reds , my wife is now a Bordeaux wine snob and other wines are judged unfavourably against those , I definitely want to go back again maybe in late summer or autumn.Plenty of hotels and probably Airbnb etc , it’s very good value for money compared with Paris and the south of France and the famous Saint Emilion is definitely worth a visit

Speaking about the south of France. I have actually decided to go to the Rhone Valley. Many people have suggested this region to me. As did @sour_grapes. Is it true that most of the wines from this region has a high alcohol %? I have to say I don't particularly enjoy a strong alcohol taste.

I am absolutely open to try different kinds. Blends for sure as well. To develop a better idea of what I like.

@Cynewulf thanks for the YouTube link. I will check it out. It has subtitles so I can understand a lot about the conversations they have.

I am very partial to Rhône valley wines; they are bold, jammy, delicious. I also like a good Pinot Noir (think Burgundy). Most of the red wine kits that I buy are Rhône blends, Grenache, Shiraz, Mourvèdre or Grenache, Tannat Shiraz. I usually have several bottles of Pinot Noir in the cellar and some Bergamais for light drinking

What about 'aging'. How do you know if a wine from Côtes du Rhône is ready to drink? All wines from a 2014(?) and earlier for example? Or does it depend on the bottle. And do I literally have to use an app to find out if I can already drink it when in France?

What about 'aging'. How do you know if a wine from Côtes du Rhône is ready to drink? All wines from a 2014(?) and earlier for example? Or does it depend on the bottle. And do I literally have to use an app to find out if I can already drink it when in France?
Hi Jeroen,
I think any wine you get in a restaurant in France will be "ready to drink". It's also my experience that you will find many more "ready now" wines than "needs ten years", though if you go after expensive wines (like 50 euros in the Rhone) you are more likely to find ones that are a bit hard. Southern Cotes du Rhone and CdP are not typically wines that are tough to drink young, compared with Bordeaux especially. In the norther Rhone it's a different story, since the red wines are close to 100% Syrah from cool climate and they will have abundant tannins when young and also wild and gamey flavors -some are extreme! I like these wines but they are not for everyone (and they are not cheap). In any case if you go to a good wine store and tell the owner what you want they will make it happen.
I think you made a good choice in the Rhone. The thing with Bordeaux is it's famous and you will have a good selection of it everywhere you go in France. In the south you have many famous wines, but you will be able to try some interesting local wines that don't leave the region. I suggest Rosemary George's "Wines of the South of France" as a good guide. You can get it as a e-book for Kindle or iPad. She's a great and entertaining wine writer.

@AaronSC's point is well taken. I've read from various sources that 90%+ of the world's wine production is intended to be drunk within 3 years. Wine purchased in normal stores (even those dedicated to wine) are ready to drink and often age-worthy for another year. Sure, some have greater longevity, but it can be a risk unless you research and know what you're buying.

Be careful of buying a price tag. Because you are buying a price tag, not a wine. I shop at TotalWine, a wine retailer chain in the USA where I can get qualified help. I set a price limit, ask for wines in a given category, and I get surprisingly good wines (sometimes great) for a low price. I have yet to be disappointed; the worst wines I've purchased were above average.

Pre-COVID, my son & I were planning a trip to Bordeaux. The intention was (and still is, eventually) to stay in or near Bordeaux and alternate days in the city (LOTS of stuff to do there) and touring chateau. Although we'll probably hit a few of the more famous ones, we want to focus on the small producers. Some of it will be plonk, but we'll also find gems. On my to-do list is figuring out shipping and tariff costs for sending cases of the great ones home.

@Jeroen, I suggest that instead of focusing on having your first wine, post-COVID, being a "great" wine -- focus on above average. After the dry spell, that first glass will taste marvelous, and succeeding glasses will be better. If you start at what you perceive as "the best", you have no place to go but down.

My son & I are thinking of Rhone as trip #2 (sometime after #1 happens), and I envy you. Before you take that first sip, raise your glass to the many who are happy for you.

Latest posts

Back