WineXpert French Oak; Cubes or Spirals?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainJack

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Finished our first kit two weeks ago, the Selection Estate Stags Leap Merlot, and I was planning on going the bulk storage route (carboy) for at least 90 days per recommendations.
I plan on adding toasted french oak to the carboy and wanted to know if anybody had any experience with the Spirals or the Cubes and what their thoughts are about the flavor imparted using either method.
I look forward to hearing any thoughts.
Jack

Either will work fine. I really like the spirals. Hang then from a piece of monofilament fishing twine and it makes them very easy to retrieve without racking when you reach the desired oak level.

I too like the spirals just for ease cause when you feel that you have reached optimum oaking you just extract the spirals instead of having to rack off. There is also a product out there made by a friend of mine who runs the American Wine Society here who created this.
http://www.winemakerproducts.com/oak_tubes.htm

Desired Oak Level?

How do you check for the desired oak level?

I know, you taste it. But, how often? Every two weeks? every week? once/month?

Thanks for the input guys, I'm going to order three different toastings of spirals for use with the current merlot, the upcoming pinot noir and for next years
cab.
Jack

I just ordered some spirals from Doug here....I am starting the stags leap something (cab or zin or merlot ? have to check package). I too was wondering the same thing.

Let me know what your plan of action is....would you? thanks :)

How do you check for the desired oak level?

I know, you taste it. But, how often? Every two weeks? every week? once/month?

Allen, I usually taste every week starting two weeks after adding oak. My wines usually stay on oak for 4 weeks but some are less than that others longer. I find the oak seems to intensify somewhat after racking off of the oak. When it tastes almost right I would remove the oak. By the way, I use oak chips.
Phil

Latest posts

Back