french oak chips

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outbackmac

Reaction score
i have a red wine that iam about to bottle i have a idea, wife and i went to local wine tasting and sampled a red wine that was aged in bourbon oak barrells and it was very good. thinking i can soak some oak chips soak in bourbon for a day or two and take a gallon of wine and let it soak in the chips for a week, Opinions please

I wouldn't add bourbon to my wine, just like I wouldn't add wine to my $50 bottle of bourbon!! But thats just me..
It's your wine, If you like the flavor profile, go for it!

Soaking your wood in burbon will extract a lot of the oakyneas out of the wood. This is how oak extract is made. Sample a little of the bourbon after it has soaked in the oak. You may find just adding a teaspoon or so of the boubon will give you the results you are looking for.
The bourbon barrels they used have a mild oaky flavor left. The original bourbon has leached a lot of the oakyness out of the barrel. This is why it can not be used for a second batch of bourbon. It would lack flavor. Unless you wanted a weak bourbon, or with a third use, wet wood flavored.
This is the fun in home wine making. Trying new or different things! Just remember to play with small samples, and not the whole batch. At least untill you get the small sample to tast good:)

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

Latest posts

Back