French Bordeaux Style

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was at the LHBS last week picking up the Sangiovese Rose for our summer wine and thought “what the hell” I need to try this for myself. I won’t be labeling it a Bordeaux (cause that’s just wrong). So Vin de Pays it is...

We’re only a week in and it’s fermented down to just about zero already. The juice is dark and the skins bag was pretty big. It came with two yeasts, the RC212 and an EC1118. I usually only use the RC. But with my Barolo not getting down to zero, I figured I’d pitch them both.

So, pitched the RC after waiting 24 hours after dropping the skins. Two days after dropping the RC and letting it get a good head start, I pitched the EC1118.

The kit also came with two bags of wood chips. Dropped those in the primary. There’s a single bag of oak cubes for the finish. But I might add a spiral of French medium + oak. We’ll see.

Smells good, looks good. Not seeing a downside yet.

Was at the LHBS last week picking up the Sangiovese Rose for our summer wine and thought “what the hell” I need to try this for myself. I won’t be labeling it a Bordeaux (cause that’s just wrong). So Vin de Pays it is...

We’re only a week in and it’s fermented down to just about zero already. The juice is dark and the skins bag was pretty big. It came with two yeasts, the RC212 and an EC1118. I usually only use the RC. But with my Barolo not getting down to zero, I figured I’d pitch them both.

So, pitched the RC after waiting 24 hours after dropping the skins. Two days after dropping the RC and letting it get a good head start, I pitched the EC1118.

The kit also came with two bags of wood chips. Dropped those in the primary. There’s a single bag of oak cubes for the finish. But I might add a spiral of French medium + oak. We’ll see.

For a "Bordeux" style with CS, M and CF, can one use RC212 and D80 together or just one or the other?

For a "Bordeux" style with CS, M and CF, can one use RC212 and D80 together or just one or the other?
you could, but one yeast eventually take over because... science. sounds like @jgmann67 wanted to ensure a complete ferment but also wanted to gain some complexity so tossed in the super strong 1118 after a couple days of rc212.

Or you could do split ferments. the split batch of d80 and d254 is always an option. and then blend together after. a consistent proven winner.

no clue what actual typical bordeaux yeast methods are. i’d bet natural ferments since it’s such an established wine region.

you could, but one yeast eventually take over because... science. sounds like @jgmann67 wanted to ensure a complete ferment but also wanted to gain some complexity so tossed in the super strong 1118 after a couple days of rc212.

Or you could do split ferments. the split batch of d80 and d254 is always an option. and then blend together after. a consistent proven winner.

no clue what actual typical bordeaux yeast methods are. i’d bet natural ferments since it’s such an established wine region.
Indeed a winner. Did that with my Malbec.

This is my choice as well, due to 1 yeast dominating the other.

I tried searching on it and found nothing concrete from Bordeaux. I did find a couple of references that said to use a Bordeaux isolate, and MoreWIne said they use this for Bordeaux, Rhone, and Zinfandel grapes:

https://morewinemaking.com/products/bordeaux-red-dry-wine-yeast.html

Has anyone ever blended Petite Sirah with Cabernet Franc?

i see Petite Sarah blended with Cab Sauv and other grapes in Norhern California wineries, because a lot of PS is grown here. Even 100% PS is bottled. But PS is tannic and my preference would be lighter on the PS. It would benefit from aging.

If i got it correct, that's a blend of Zin with PS and of CF and PS?
off topic- but this convo prompted me to check on these wines which i haven’t done in a while. i have had a few other larger batches going so tending to these wines was kinda put on the backburner.
Didn’t realize till now that i’ve never racked these at all. i did maintain sulphites, & confirmed mlf finished and all. but never racked at all after fermentation. Was only 1 lug of PS in each so the amount of lees wasn’t too crazy. but still. almost 7 months now lol. gotta sample tonight. keeping fingers crossed nothings ruined.

off topic- but this convo prompted me to check on these wines which i haven’t done in a while. i have had a few other larger batches going so tending to these wines was kinda put on the backburner.
Didn’t realize till now that i’ve never racked these at all. i did maintain sulphites, & confirmed mlf finished and all. but never racked at all after fermentation. Was only 1 lug of PS in each so the amount of lees wasn’t too crazy. but still. almost 7 months now lol. gotta sample tonight. keeping fingers crossed nothings ruined.
Hope not.

Good luck! I've left wine on the gross lees too long and had both results, good and bad. The bad was off flavors. Cross your fingers and start racking!
🤞 i did rack it after primary fermentation to be clear. fermented dry in open fermentor and once dry it was racked and pressed. So technically 1 rack i guess.

I started this in August of 2020. I only used the RC212 yeast (it had both 212 and the EC118) At .996 I locked down my lid and left it for 2 weeks, (sloshing it around while closed), otherwise I followed the directions. I needed the carboy so earlier this year I bottled it, it tasted pretty good at that point. I was curious how it’s moving along, so I just opened a bottle to taste and it was quite good. Farther along at this point than most of my kit reds and makes me feel good about the new style kits. I will probably make this one again.

Back