French and Hungarian Oak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wanted to update that we did receive a small order of French and Hungarian oak staves. They will be available on our Customs page. I really wanted to give you all the same opportunity as wineries to customize your oak. You can decide what species and toast you want the two oak pieces to be and whether or not you want holes drilled in your top.

For discounts to use at checkout:
American oak kits use THANKS for 10% discount
Custom Kits use WMT for 5% discount (ask me about the fun time with customs!)

To get the 10% discount on the American kits use the link for American Oak Kits as squarespace is weird and I can't apply that to American kits from the custom page.

We are taking our time processing the French and Hungarian staves to maximize the resources so there will be a little lead time while we make the kits for you.

Any questions or issues with the ordering or apply discounts please feel free to call or email!

Edit - it is a small order of staves and I apologize for the limited availability. When inventory looks like it's running low I'll update the website to reflect that.

what is the intent of the holes? ordered a custom all Hungarian Happy Holidays
Saw your order and we'll start making it, I'll get it sent as soon as I can. The idea from the beginning was to have the holes for gases to escape during fermentation (if someone wanted to use it while it was fermenting). Some like to bulk age their wine without an airlock so we give the option now to just have a solid piece inserted into the stopper.

Also spoke to the manufacturer and fingers crossed there won't be any lock downs for them to make the new stopper. We're still a bit off but it's in progress.

Happy holidays to you too!

what is the intent of the holes? ordered a custom all Hungarian Happy Holidays
I must say it was awesome working with this oak. The smell when I toasted and manufactured it was amazing. Definitely different from the American oak I've been working with. Hope the order gets to you safe!

Just wanted to update that we did receive a small order of French and Hungarian oak staves.

Just wanted to say, I do not oak my wine, but I went to your web site and I can really appreciate an elegantly designed product. And I think yours really have a nice touch of design elegance to them, besides being functional (always a good combination). Well done.

Side note: Living in Hungary, I take walks in the local oak forest (has sessile and european oak). I have sessile oak on my property. I use the oak for firewood.... (to which some here may be thinking .... :eek:)

Last edited:
Just wanted to say, I do not oak my wine, but I went to your web site and I can really appreciate an elegantly designed product. And I think yours really have a nice touch of design elegance to them, besides being functional (always a good combination). Well done.

Side note: Living in Hungary, I take walks in the local oak forest (has sessile and european oak). I have sessile oak on my property. I use the oak for firewood.... (to which some here may be thinking .... :eek:)
Thank you for the kind words! I did gasp but then laughed when I saw you use oak for firewood. Until this order of new staves I've always worked with American oak, but I can see why people are a fan because the shopped smelled amazing when I was making his order. I have some oak trees on my property that do end up being used in my wood stove...so no judging ;)

Latest posts

Back