Freezing wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirs

just an oldman
Reaction score
Got a question wifes cherry lime I put a bottle in the freezer she wanted it really cold almost slushy well after being in the freezer all evening it doesn't even have any crystals in it at all at what percentage does it start to freeze.
I know all alcohol does freeze but at like -100 C. So what about wines??

I would guess it will start to freeze somewhere around 10 deg F.

Alcohol freezes at -173F. Pure water at +32 so if it is a linear scale (I am not sure if it is) then for every 1% alcohol would lower the freezing point roughly 2 deg F

My Chemistry is really rusty.
Someone with more chemistry background might be able to give you a better answer

Last edited:
Eddie the amount of alcohol will determine your freezing point. I find typically at 18*F the wine will start to get slushy. When I first started cold stabilizing in a 0* freezer I could leave the carboy in there for 3-4 days and it would have a cap of slush. A bottle would be a different story.

:ot: If you do a search of Luc's blog he has an entire article about freezing red wine to enhance the flavor. Kind of like what an aerator does for it.

Latest posts

Back