Freeze Distilling my wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShtWine

Unofficious Interloper
Reaction score
Facts:
I started a Mango Tangerine batch in 2012 and it didn't clear for ages.
It's around 18% alcohol
I haven't racked it in years!
It is cold outside.

Narrative:
There's alot of sediment around the glass ribs and on the bottom (finally) I really don't care to rack it and then bottle, but I know I read somewhere that in the Early colonial days, brewers would make apple wine and then freeze it and scoop off the ice to end up with a "fortified" alcohol product. I am considering this, but I got to wondering, will I have the same problem that distillers have with the methanol content of the finished product? I'll measure the amount I start with and the amount I get and figure the new alcohol content from there.

Yes, I know, I will not try to freeze it in the glass, probably siphon off 3-4 gallons of the clear stuff to stainless, and dump the rest. Or I might just dump the whole thing, it needs to move.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks,
I miss my i,
Shtwine

Just a heads up - that it is not allowed to talk about any form of distilling on this forum

Thanks for understanding

Facts:
I started a Mango Tangerine batch in 2012 and it didn't clear for ages.
It's around 18% alcohol
I haven't racked it in years!
It is cold outside.

Narrative:
There's alot of sediment around the glass ribs and on the bottom (finally) I really don't care to rack it and then bottle, but I know I read somewhere that in the Early colonial days, brewers would make apple wine and then freeze it and scoop off the ice to end up with a "fortified" alcohol product. I am considering this, but I got to wondering, will I have the same problem that distillers have with the methanol content of the finished product? I'll measure the amount I start with and the amount I get and figure the new alcohol content from there.

Yes, I know, I will not try to freeze it in the glass, probably siphon off 3-4 gallons of the clear stuff to stainless, and dump the rest. Or I might just dump the whole thing, it needs to move.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks,
I miss my i,
Shtwine

What you are talking about is a form of freeze distillation and any form of distillation is illegal in most states so we don't allow the discussion on this forum. We have had many discussions on this matter and feel it best to just keep the subject to normal winemaking.

Heh, I had no idea, but I guess it is a thing so, thanks ...and sorry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back