FREE WINE!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drainsurgeon

Reaction score
I have a daughter that is a probation officer for the county. She recently busted one of her "clients" and confiscated a few bottles of wine that were at the residence. She gifted me 4 bottles in a bag and not being too fond of commercial wine, I thanked her and threw them in the car. When I got home I set the bag on the counter and started pulling out bottles to see what I won, and the last bottle I pulled out was....Tawny Porto! Now I've made port before, but I understand (from here) that this is pretty good stuff. I'm trying to decide weather to pull the cork tonight or wait for a special occasion. Christmas came early this year......and I can't wait to open my present! :pty

You would think it would be evidence at a minimum if parole was indeed revoked for the violation.

The offender would have to file claim to get it back.
I would buy tickets to hear this guy explain to a judge why he should get it back when he was told it couldnt be in his home in the first place.
Im sure it was documented and held for a period of time, then cleared for disposal.
Some one would have to open it to verify that it in fact was alcohol to prosecute, so take good tasting notes incase you need to testify. Lol

I don't know what the guy did to get on probation, but it makes me furious when law enforcement abuses their authority to STEAL personal property from people, criminal or otherwise. I know nothing about your daughter, but her actions here were those of a thug (forcing him to give her his property for nothing and then giving it away to whomever she pleased) Just because he is not allowed to have any wine while on probation, doesn't entitle her to take it for her own.

The guy is on probation, and he can't have any wine? That should be a crime in itself!

Bartman, I know nothing of the details of this incident. But I can tell you that she is by the book for the most part. She is also compassionate. I'm just guessing, but I'll bet that the confiscation and tongue lashing to this person was probably all that he/she got instead of being thrown back in jail or prison. Maybe they are not allowed to keep such evidence, but gifting is allowed?? I don't know.

As to stealing property, this person probably has multiple DWI's or some alcohol related violations. If they have a "no drink" order, it is for a reason. If they want to enjoy an evening glass of wine they should behave themselves.

Now, for another glass of port....

Last edited:
I don't know what the guy did to get on probation, but it makes me furious when law enforcement abuses their authority to STEAL personal property from people, criminal or otherwise. I know nothing about your daughter, but her actions here were those of a thug (forcing him to give her his property for nothing and then giving it away to whomever she pleased) Just because he is not allowed to have any wine while on probation, doesn't entitle her to take it for her own.

The guy is on probation, and he can't have any wine? That should be a crime in itself!

i'm not going to get in the middle of this but "a crime in itself" is pretty funny.

Your honor, I can, in fact, berify that the ebidense contained alshol. Unfortunetley, the ebidense seems to be missing..hic. :)

(the port is delicious)

Last edited:

Its absolutely in her right to confiscate it if it’s against the terms of his parole / probation. It’s probably against her agencies policy for her to give it away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps we can get her response as to how this type of thing is handled by the book.
I promise you his terms for release or probation require no guns illegal drugs or alcohol are allowed in the offenders residence, no matter how many other adults live there.
Locally the county sells recovered unclaimed stollen items at auction every year.
I would expect unclaimed confiscated item be treated similarly. But alcohol requires special licensing to sell.
So in the trash it goes?

meadmaker, I'll ask her tomorrow as to the actual protocol that they follow. Like I said earlier in this thread, I don't know any of the details other than what I've stated. For all I know, she purchased them and then gifted them to me. I do know that she would not bend the rules and risk her job or career.

The Tawny Porto was fabulous! Some of the best commercial wine I've ever had.

Ok, talked to my daughter and told her that I had a little worry over the legality of said giveaway. Her reply was that they are not governed by the same rules as law enforcement. They have to keep evidence for a short time and then they can dispose of it however they choose. No rules broken. In fact, she gave the wine to my wife right in their office in plain site of everyone.

Here is the interesting part. This particular person actually called my daughter. He/she was drunk and was in possession of a firearm and it was literally a call for help. Also several DWI convictions in their past. I don't need to discuss any more details but I emphasize that the give away was above board and completely legal.

I'm not sure how they handle the firearm confiscation....I'm happy with the wine however...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back