Free SO2 Help - Eclipse Pinot Gris

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stickymatch

Reaction score
I was going to bottle my Eclipse Pinot Gris and decided to test my free SO2 using my MoreWine AO setup, which I haven't used before. Using MoreWine's writeup on SO2 Management, I calculated that I needed about 25PPM free SO2 based on the pH of 3.24, which my Pinot Gris tested at using a digital pH meter.

I ran the SO2 test and calculated that I had about 54PPM of free SO2, which is 2X of what I need. I'm not sure how this is being that I followed the kit instructions to a T. I tasted the wine and it doesn't really taste sulfite-ish.

Should I be concerned? Is this normal with a kit wine regardless of it being a red or white? I don't have anything to compare to. My Eclipse Merlot was tested with the color code type test and after being inconclusive, I simply added 1/8tsp of k-meta and bottled.

Any help is appreciated.

The kit manufacturers may have added some sulfite to the kit as a preservative. The fermentation process also produces a small amount of SO2. Then the kit probably also had a package of potassium metabisulfite (Kmeta) that you added when you were finishing up the kit. This would account for the reading you were getting of ~50 PPM. I understand that the legal limit for sulfite in commercial wines in the US is 350 so you have lots of head room. We aren't set up to test for SO2 so we just add another 1/4 tsp per 6 gallons before bottling our kits. Never had any problems. With high end kits like these you will probably keep at least some of the bottles for several years. You need enough SO2 to protect the wines for as long as you intend to keep them.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Last edited:
Did you add the packet of Sulfite before testing for SO2?

Directly before...nope. I know that that would have effected the results. This has been bulk aging for 4 months with no addition of k-meta since Step 3..about 4-1/2 months ago.

So you have or have not added the included packet ~4 months ago? It sounds like you HAVE added the packet…..

If you have not added the included packet there is no way it has 54ppm free SO2 unless you have a contamination incident like you rinsed the carboy with a ton of Sulfite solution and didn't pour it out etc. Possibilities include anything from a math calculation mistake to not fully understanding the titration process (i.e. when the endpoint is) and going waaayy past the endpoint.

Have you looked at the onine videos they are very helpful at set up, how to get your sample receiving flask to the correct starting point before you start your aeration etc.

The videos are located at the bottom of the page here:

http://morewinemaking.com/products/economy-aerationoxidation-free-so2-test-kit.html

Last edited:
So you have or have not added the included packet ~4 months ago? It sounds like you HAVE added the packet…..

If you have not added the included packet there is no way it has 54ppm free SO2 unless you have a contamination incident like you rinsed the carboy with a ton of Sulfite solution and didn't pour it out etc. Possibilities include anything from a math calculation mistake to not fully understanding the titration process (i.e. when the endpoint is) and going waaayy past the endpoint.

Have you looked at the onine videos they are very helpful at set up, how to get your sample receiving flask to the correct starting point before you start your aeration etc.

The videos are located at the bottom of the page here:

http://morewinemaking.com/products/economy-aerationoxidation-free-so2-test-kit.html

Mike,

I appreciate the help but I read your reply to be a bit condescending.

Step 3 requires the addition of k-meta, sorbate, and fining agents....which I added. However, I just realized that I didn't account for one additional step in my original post and that was at Step 4, where I added a 1/4tsp of k-meta, dissolved in 1/2 cup of water, to the wine since I would be aging longer than 6 months, as directed by the instructions. Therefore, it's been about 4 months since I added any k-meta.

For the test itself, I am very familiar with the titration process due to other hobbies that required the use of this method. In addition, I had also read the instructions and watched the videos prior to performing the test. I am 110% confident that the test was performed correctly.

Any equipment that allows the pooling of liquid, ie carboys, wine thief, etc. is sanitized and then let to drain upside down for about 5 min or so prior to me using. If there is any residual k-meta, it's a few drops or so that didn't fully drain off.

Sorry about that, didn't mean to come off with anything other than genuinely trying cover all possibilities and to assist you. It sounded like you hadn't added any (at first) thus the confusion on my part. With all the additional info you just added everything makes sense as far as the number you got. I have held wines for up to 6 months in a topped up (airlocked or stoppered) carboy with just the supplied packet of sulfite and then tested using the same A/O Rig you have and found the SO2 levels to be well within the required amount and even a little above that without any additional Sulfite. Since you added the extra 1/4 tsp that would bump it up even more.

Your wine should be just fine, I wouldn't add any more even if you decide to bulk age a bit more. Main thing is you said you can't taste it. If you did you could always splash rack to get rid of some of the free SO2 and drop the levels down a bit.

Hope this helps.

Sorry about that, didn't mean to come off with anything other than genuinely trying cover all possibilities and to assist you. It sounded like you hadn't added any (at first) thus the confusion on my part. With all the additional info you just added everything makes sense as far as the number you got. I have held wines for up to 6 months in a topped up (airlocked or stoppered) carboy with just the supplied packet of sulfite and then tested using the same A/O Rig you have and found the SO2 levels to be well within the required amount and even a little above that without any additional Sulfite. Since you added the extra 1/4 tsp that would bump it up even more.

Your wine should be just fine, I wouldn't add any more even if you decide to bulk age a bit more. Main thing is you said you can't taste it. If you did you could always splash rack to get rid of some of the free SO2 and drop the levels down a bit.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Mike, again I appreciate the help.

My thought is that since this is a kit, the amount of SO2 is higher than what would normally be required to prevent oxidation because the manufactuer has to assume no testing is done and wants to ensure no spoilage occurs.

My thought is that since this is a kit, the amount of SO2 is higher than what would normally be required to prevent oxidation because the manufactuer has to assume no testing is done and wants to ensure no spoilage occurs.

That is my thinking, too. I don't know that, but it seems like a prudent measure on their part. It was not WAY over, after all.

Back