fpac Brix

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't say that I've ever checked, but I imagine it would be a little tricky to do. My refractometer only goes up to 36 BRIX, and I imagine it's a lot higher than that, and probably to viscous to use your hydrometer, and it's probably off of that scale too. You'd probably have to use a known quantity of fpack and water to thin it out to get a reading, and then convert it back.

Based on my past experience, the fpack typically raises the SG of 6 gallons of must around SG .015. Working backwards from there on Fermcalc, using starting SG of 1.090, and final SG of 1.105 (an increase of .015), for a 6 gallon must, it would take 2.4 pounds of sugar. If (I repeat IF) the fpack is 1 quart in total liquid (ignoring skins, seeds, etc), the BRIX of that liquid would be 81, SG would be 1.421. Purely hypothetical based upon the volume.

Thanks for the responses. I bought a 0-90 Brix refractometer. The fpac that came with the WE Diablo Rojo kit is 77 Brix, 150 mL.

Thanks for the responses. I bought a 0-90 Brix refractometer. The fpac that came with the WE Diablo Rojo kit is 77 Brix, 150 mL.
I have this kit. This is the first time I investigated "Brix", So from understanding the Brix measurement I calculate then that the F-Pack is 77ml + 38.5 ml - 115.5 ml = very close to 1/2 cup sugar (118 ml).
That is not a lot for 6 gal of wine. A low -medium sweet which I often like is 1/3 cup per gallon = 2 cups sugar for six gallosn about 473 ml. Stronger sweetening that I see others often like, like for dragon blood or skeeter pee can go up to 1/2, 1/3 or even one cup per gallon.
And knowing that it is primarily sweetener/sugar I think I will just add it to the primary to increase the SG (from Joeswine Recipe in a previous thread).
I do my own back-sweetening calculated to my taste with precise formulas.
Good information here apropos!

...I haven't tried to measure the sweetness level of say.. Niagara mist fruit wines but I think I would like to get a more scientific reading of them since I made so many of them. I just had an idea I never tried - put the Niagra Mist F-Pack totally in the primary and then backsweeten to 1/3 CPG. I haven't done that before I guess because I thoght I wold lose the fruit taste of the F-Pack ..but if back-sweetening pulls out the fruit taste then I can finally tame these fruit kits to my specifications. The main reason for my buying the Mist Kits is the flavour packs but now maybe I can make my own flavour packs just as good.

Correction:

I have this kit. This is the first time I investigated "Brix", So from understanding the Brix measurement
(Which I think is 1 unit brix = 1 ml sugar per 100 ml liquid)

I calculate then that the F-Pack is 77ml + 38.5 ml = 115.5 ml sugar which is very close to 1/2 cup sugar (118 ml).
That is not a lot for 6 gal of wine. ie 1/12 cup per gallon
A low -medium sweet which I often like is 1/3 cup per gallon = 2 cups sugar for six gallons, about 473 ml. Stronger sweetening that I see others often like, like for dragon blood or skeeter pee can go up to 1/2, 1/3 or even one cup per gallon.

@Chinook Brix is actually a weight percent sucrose, so you have to be careful with calculations when converting to volume measurements. It can get complicated, so using Fermcalc is probably the easiest way to estimate the numbers; @Johnd is correct if the f-pac was around a quart or liter, so running the calculation again using the example above of 150ml at 77 brix f-pac, Fermcalc indicates the f-pac would contain 161 grams sugar, and using standard sugar weight to volume conversion indicates that 161 grams of dry sugar would be near 3/4 cup dry volume measurement. I don't really know what else might be in the fpac, as things like fructose, glycerine, and acid would likely alter the final taste.

@Chinook Brix is actually a weight percent sucrose, so you have to be careful with calculations when converting to volume measurements. It can get complicated, so using Fermcalc is probably the easiest way to estimate the numbers; @Johnd is correct if the f-pac was around a quart or liter, so running the calculation again using the example above of 150ml at 77 brix f-pac, Fermcalc indicates the f-pac would contain 161 grams sugar, and using standard sugar weight to volume conversion indicates that 161 grams of dry sugar would be near 3/4 cup dry volume measurement. I don't really know what else might be in the fpac, as things like fructose, glycerine, and acid would likely alter the final taste.
Thanks. I am unfamiliar with Fermcalc , I have to look it up. Sounds good.
Measurements by weight are not useful to me so I need to convert everything to volume in the metric system.
So the new calculation would mean the wine is sweetened 1/8 cup per gallon with the Rojo Fpac.. OK Good to know.
I back-sweeten by measuring cups per gallon dry sugar.

I have just pitched the Diablo Rojo. I wanted to add the fpac to the primary, but I am afraid it may contain sorbate. I will try to do a test on it with some of the must from the primary.
Maybe I should just bin it since it is just a problem.
I don't think it has sorbate as that is in a separate package with the kit.
Putting the other smoothers in the primary is OK with me. I just don't want to use it on finished wine as I like to calculate precisely how much I back-sweeten my wine and control it

The Rojo fpac, I can see is visibly very close to 150 ml and I can check that when I open it.
The fpacs that come with Niagara Mist that I have used vary depending on which fruit, as I measure them , I think 1200, 1000 and 1050 ml., I have used. I measured them because I was previously experimenting with percentages Fpac in the primary.

So good information, just in time, thanks.
I found it difficult to find information about calculating volume of sugar by Brix measurement, there is too much superfluous information when I try to research a conversion method. I missed seeing "Fermcalc"

Do you have a link to an online calculator?

Last edited:
Below is the fermcalc site, it has a calculator for most parameters, as well as a dry measure converter in the miscellaneous section.

http://www.fermcalc.com/FermCalcJS.html
Good all round site. I was using a simpler one for SG to ABV. This site is better.
Now for 150ml at 77 brix liquid how did you calculate the total grams sugar in the 150 ml?
I can't seem to get the same result.
Thanks

Select Sugar Calculations, then Chaptalization and Dilution Calculator, select the second radio button for Specify target SG & volume >
Calculate water/sugar additions

Then change units as desired and type in data.

Fermcalc.png

I've decided to use the Rojo Fpac for back-sweetening since I now have an accurate idea of the sweetening percentage calculation. Also the wine smoothers are useful.
I'll only back-sweeten part of my batch, so I have to have an accurate method.

Latest posts

Back