Fortifying with Bourbon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Hatfield

Junior
Reaction score
I’m making a blueberry/ plum port and am thinking about what to use for fortifying. I had an idea and want to know if anyone has tried it and what their results were. If I fortify with bourbon will it impart some of the charred oaky vanilla flavor of bourbon? It sounds good in theory. I was thinking either a very oaky one or a high alcohol one like Wild Turkey.

I would not use bourbon, way too strong flavored, too oakey. A really good rum like Diplomatico or even a spiced rum like Kraken, NOT Cap Morgan

It depends whether you want to keep your original port? flavour. High ABV Vodka or Evercleer, plus maybe a flavour pack. As sour-grapes says do some bench trials, have some fun. Enjoy!

I have a similar question as Al. I would like to "fortify" my Toasted Caramel Dessert Wine. Any ideas? Was originally thinking bourbon as well but do not want to alter the taste much. Thanks

Additional question. How much should I add to a 3 gallon carboy and do just before bottling? Thanks, just trying this for the first time.

Latest posts

Back