Fortifying Cherry Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tatardave

Junior
Reaction score
I have a batch of cherry wine made from 100% Door County Wisconsin Montmorency Tart Cherries- no water added. It's a wonderful tasting wine in its current form but I am thinking about experimenting by fortifying some with a good quality brandy. Has anyone tried this? If you have, how much brandy do you recommend blending with a regular sized bottle?

I haven't, most recommendations I've seen has been to fortify wine with something like Everclear. How much you add would depend on your target abv and what alcohol level the cherry wine is at and then calculation the Everclear addition. But others here probably know better and the right brandy could add complexity.

use pearsons square to determine additions. need to know the abv of the cherry wine. any good brandy should work. try a bench trial to get the taste before doing the whole batch.

Agree with salcoco I'd use a brandy rather than everclear unless your one and only desire is to increase the alcoholic content. Everclear is pretty harsh stuff - gets the job done (raising the numbers) but beyond that it doesn't add anything to the wine and probably cuts the 'body' a bit too.

Latest posts

Back