Fortify-ing ABV calculations Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnR

Junior
Reaction score
OK, suped up 1118 starter appears to have died soon after pitching 24 hours ago, I am applying heat a s a last effort to revive. If that is the case the I know I am in excess of 18%ABV. My problem is multi faceted. 1. It is still sweet, 2. I want a 20 to 21% ABV. I had chosen in the beginning to back sweeten with DeKuyper Creme de Cocoa (anyone ever gone this route?) but now I may be too sweet and have to use unflavored brandy or PGA to get me where I want to go. Reguardless, below is my calculation for the addition, is this correct??

5 gal @ 18% + _____ @ 27% = _____

1 gal @ 18% + 1 pint (1/8 gallon) @ 27% or .27/8 = .03375 or 3 3/8% increase in 1 gallon then divide by 5 gallon equals .00675% increase.

The 27% is the DeKuyper.

Is this correct?:a1

OK, suped up 1118 starter appears to have died soon after pitching 24 hours ago, I am applying heat a s a last effort to revive. If that is the case the I know I am in excess of 18%ABV. My problem is multi faceted. 1. It is still sweet, 2. I want a 20 to 21% ABV. I had chosen in the beginning to back sweeten with DeKuyper Creme de Cocoa (anyone ever gone this route?) but now I may be too sweet and have to use unflavored brandy or PGA to get me where I want to go. Reguardless, below is my calculation for the addition, is this correct??

5 gal @ 18% + _____ @ 27% = _____

1 gal @ 18% + 1 pint (1/8 gallon) @ 27% or .27/8 = .03375 or 3 3/8% increase in 1 gallon then divide by 5 gallon equals .00675% increase.

The 27% is the DeKuyper.

Is this correct?:a1
http://www.vinovation.com/Pearson.html

Thanks for the linK!!!

Boy was I wrong!

I would like to know the actual calculation for that out of curiosity, now I gotta better understand Proof vs % by volume also.

John,

Fortifying a wine isn't the cheapest route .. however it makes for an awesome finished result. Still a lot cheaper than buying it commercially.

You haven't mentioned how many gallons of wine you intend to fortify?

If you have multiple gallons, I recommend splitting the batch and adding different spirit/grain alcohols.. Brandy is smoother, faster in my opinion. Whiskey works well with a strong flavour, Gin goes well with berry flavours, Vodka strengthens delicate flavours.

I make my own liqueurs..raspberry/strawberry/cherry. these can all be added as experiments to small glasses of the finished product.

experiment with fortifying..it's a lot of fun.

Allie

Latest posts

Back