forgot to put water in air lock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mersydo

Junior
Reaction score
i forgot to put water in the air lock of my new strawberry wine. it was a day or two before i discovered this-by which time the air lock seemed to have filled up with strawberry wine. will the wine still be ok?

Yes, sounds like you still have some active fermentation going.

Clean out your air lock, add some water. A few days won't hurt it. You should keep an eye on your airlocks as occasionally they dehydrate. With this warm weather your wines will swell.

Do not allow your wine to swell into the airlock and mix with your water, then subside back into your wine. That could bring bacteria with it. I've had wine swell into the airlock air area only then retract, that's okay but I still cleaned it out.

i forgot to put water in the air lock of my new strawberry wine. it was a day or two before i discovered this-by which time the air lock seemed to have filled up with strawberry wine. will the wine still be ok?

Get out a straw, you need more headspace! :db

Clean out your air lock, add some water. A few days won't hurt it. You should keep an eye on your airlocks as occasionally they dehydrate. With this warm weather your wines will swell.

Do not allow your wine to swell into the airlock and mix with your water, then subside back into your wine. That could bring bacteria with it. I've had wine swell into the airlock air area only then retract, that's okay but I still cleaned it out.

That's why some use vodka instead of water...

Thats a good reason for using kmeta sanitizing solution in your air lock. If your air lock filled with your wine it sounds like you had protection from air and also the wine in your air lock prevented any more from coming in. It was only a day or two so you're ok.

Latest posts

Back