Forgot to add yeast to Parsnip Wine - Please help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackberry60

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I am a new wine maker and followed a youtube recipe for parsnip wine yesterday. Today no bubbling into the airlock, lots of moisture in top of demijohn and looks like bits growing in the liquid. I do not want to waste the mix. I used sultanas as my dried fruit addition.
The guy forgot to say add yeast so I now have a demijohn full of parsnip wine without yeast. Can anyone give me some advice please, maybe I can add the yeast now now?

welcome to WMT
Your original post would say that you started a day ago. Yes you should add yeast. If you have a wine yeast packet it should take over and dominate the fermentation, ,,, if not a bread yeast could be used to start BUT add wine yeast as soon as you can so fermentation can finish.
The OP doesn’t say where you are. Up north we could just stick it outside and freeze it till we have missing ingredients. ,,,,A country wine must is constructed with acidic ingredients which act as a fence to keep spoilage organisms out (target about pH 3.5) so they are relatively stable. At 40F a must should be stable for a week plus. Warmer will be less, The break point will be when off flavors show up. ,,,, Food poisoning organisms don’t like pH below about 4.0.

Today we have lots of technology which grandpa didn’t have in 1900, and using the grandpa’s old recipe still works.

Hi Guys a big thank you for such a fast response. I have now added a teaspoon of wine yeast, so I will watch and see.
I am in Dorset U.K so around 2 - 9 degrees outside right now. My wine will ferment in our snug which is a warm room with an open fire so fingers crossed.
Stay safe xx

I am in Dorset U.K so around 2 - 9 degrees outside right now. My wine will ferment in our snug which is a warm room with an open fire so fingers crossed.
Stay safe xx
this has me curious, “snug”? Makes me think about great-great grandfathers in Hannover (the Dutchy of) where there was a livable room (home) with a pot belly stove, which was built into a corner of the barn, ,,,, or some of the old pubs near Oxford where the ceiling seemed to be awfully close to two meters.

Hi Guys a big thank you for such a fast response. I have now added a teaspoon of wine yeast, so I will watch and see.
Stay safe xx
Wrap a blanket or some bubble wrap around the fermentation bucket to help maintain temperature during the period you don’t have a fire. Heating pads are also very effective when fermenting during winter months. They are not too expensive.

Stay safe xx
Welcome to the hobby! You'll be fine as long as your indoor temperatures are within the range of your yeast. Fermentation tends to make your must warmer as well. You can check it here: Microsoft Word - WINE YEAST STRAIN QUICK REFERENCE CHART Brand separate 25 – (fsu.edu)

this has me curious, “snug”? Makes me think about great-great grandfathers in Hannover (the Dutchy of) where there was a livable room (home) with a pot belly stove, which was built into a corner of the barn, ,,,, or some of the old pubs near Oxford where the ceiling seemed to be awfully close to two meters.

Rice, next time you are in Milwaukee, I will treat us to a pint or two at the County Clare Inn: Hearths in the right place

Whoop whoop, soundsike fun!
Parsnip went down the sink.
Now trying to get ginger wine to start bubbling. It is fizzing which is a good sign, but after 36 hrs not bubbling into lock. Prob the temperature. It is on a warming mat, so will wait till later. Maybe I will put some bubble around it.
Have a great day.

Whoop whoop, soundsike fun!
Parsnip went down the sink.
Now trying to get ginger wine to start bubbling. It is fizzing which is a good sign, but after 36 hrs not bubbling into lock. Prob the temperature. It is on a warming mat, so will wait till later. Maybe I will put some bubble around it.
Have a great day.
you dont ferment in a open bucket or barrel? when i ferment i use a drill to stir as much oxygen i can get in my must, now when my ferment gets to a SG of 1.000 to .996 then i rack to carboy and airlock,
Dawg

Hi Dawg
All in a fermenting bucket with lid and bubble in top already fitted.
I stir each day and add a little sugar for this recipe. I have ordered a book to help me, I do not have kit yet to take readings. Prob temp is my issue, wine made here in summer was fine.
Grateful for yr imput.

Hi Blackberry60 and welcome. Down the sink? Why ? What happened?
You suggest that the temperature may be too cold to ferment during the winter. You might check out different yeast strains to see if there are any that might thrive in cooler weather. Kveik yeast (used for brewing beer) may be just what you need.

Hi Blackberry60 and welcome. Down the sink? Why ? What happened?
You suggest that the temperature may be too cold to ferment during the winter. You might check out different yeast strains to see if there are any that might thrive in cooler weather. Kveik yeast (used for brewing beer) may be just what you need.
That is worth knowing, thank you. I have much to learn, so glad I asked.

Yes you have it. Our Snug room is our main living room with a big Inglenook fireplace, an old velvet sofa, stone walls and a low ceiling, and just 12x10 feet so very cosy.

Grew up with wood stoves. Off the center hallway. It was always 90 degrees F. In the whole house. Had to open the Windows at night. Miss that though. Heat pump sucks. Off point though.

Hi Dawg
All in a fermenting bucket with lid and bubble in top already fitted.
I stir each day and add a little sugar for this recipe. I have ordered a book to help me, I do not have kit yet to take readings. Prob temp is my issue, wine made here in summer was fine.
Grateful for yr imput.
Hi again Dawg,
Hurrah!!! I have enthusiastic airlock bubbling!!! So inspiring abx given me a huge lift.

Latest posts

Back