Forgot to add extra sulphites

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

facn1989

Reaction score
I just realized I forgot to add the extra 1/4 tsp of sulphites to a batch I intend to age for two years (high end kit). I have already bottled. Am I screwed? Can I get away with waiting two years or am I essentially screwed?

If you already have it bottled, you will be fine.

You said 'extra '. Does that mean some had been previously added?

Well I say extra because the kit already brings a packet, but if you intend to age more than 6 months they suggest adding 1/4 tsp more (I use crushed campden tablets)

Well I say extra because the kit already brings a packet, but if you intend to age more than 6 months they suggest adding 1/4 tsp more (I use crushed campden tablets)

I believe sulfite loss goes down a fair amount once you're in the bottle. Like Julie said, you're fine.

Ohhh good to know. So adding the extra sulphite is mostly for people who are bulk aging a year or more

Yes, because bulk aging for around a year, you will most likely rack 2-3 times during that period. Every time you rack, you risk exposure to oxygen. The 1/4 teaspoon of kmeta every racking will ensure you that everything is still in check.

No headspace up can protect the wine all by itself. Racking is what opens it up to be vulnerable. And In the bottle your golden. My family made wine 100% sulphite free for years (drinking all by yr 2) and did not oxidize.
But I’m also less weary of O2 than others personally. And the right amount can actually benefit the wine. Letting the wine get acquainted with o2 early will make it more tolerable to it later and remain less effected.
In the “top 100 kits” issue of winemaker mag there’s an amazing article about o2 and wine. Same author, new to WMM, wrote another great article about fermentation temps in same issue. Both super informative.

Latest posts

Back