Forgot an ingredient

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Junior
Reaction score
Made a batch of Moscato for my mom (only a gallon) forgot to add the sorbate. Final stage can I add it or do II really need it?

Couple more questions:
1.Where do most folks buy their juice for wine?
2, Do you put the additives included in the kit in your wine?
3. Do you ever make changes to the wine by adding more sugar for instance?
4, Have you ever combined kits to create a unique blend?

Thank you in advance.

Enjoy Life, Robin

K sorbate is for keeping yeast from refermenting when back sweetening is done. IF wine is dry it is not needed. , , IF refrigerated it is not needed. It is hard to add if bottled but could be dissolved in a wine and a few ml added then recorked.
* I am part of a vinters club which is good for buckets of juice. I am part of a vinters club and several times a year folks offer produce or even juices, Do you have a gardening club in the area? ,, I look on Craig’s list for things to ferment and occasionally see folks asking if someone has excess, lots of folks do, ,, one of the folks in the wine club will get a case of discounted produce off the grocery store and make country wine, I walk with grand kids and see the mulberries are close to ripe by the highway.
* I like to cook so I always make changes. The current frame of mind is to look at wine as building blocks; something for the yeast to ferment (a sugar source), and something with acids (pH), and something with good aroma, and something from the freezer which ought to get used to make space, and something which contributes long flavor notes (ex crab apple/tannin). An example is ”peach-an-rhubarb”. I cook so I frequently make pies to test flavor combinations.
Made a batch of Moscato for my mom (only a gallon) forgot to add the sorbate. Final stage can I add it or do II really need it?
Couple more questions:
Welcome to WMT.

Last edited:
We need more information. What do you mean by "final stage." Did you ferment the wine to dry? Have you added sugar to it?
It hs been racked twice and is sitting in a gallon jug, clearing waiting to be bottled. This was from a kit

Are you backsweetening? If not, skip the sorbate as it is unnecessary.

If you are going to backsweeten, you can add the sorbate before sweetening. Plus add K-meta, 1 Campden for the gallong.

If you don't have Campden, you can dissolve 1/4 tsp K-meta in 5 Tbsp water, then add 1 Tbsp of the water to the wine. [Credit @sour_grapes for this tip]

The kit caem with 2 bags. Not sure what was in the second. I added it Kieselsol & chitosan but forgot the Sorbate which they say prevents oxidation. I do not have K-meta (never heard of it) I have sorbate and campden tablets.

K sorbate is for keeping yeast from refermenting when back sweetening is done. IF wine is dry it is not needed. , , IF refrigerated it is not needed. It is hard to add if bottled but could be dissolved in a wine and a few ml added then recorked.
* I am part of a vinters club which is good for buckets of juice. I am part of a vinters club and several times a year folks offer produce or even juices, Do you have a gardening club in the area? ,, I look on Craig’s list for things to ferment and occasionally see folks asking if someone has excess, lots of folks do, ,, one of the folks in the wine club will get a case of discounted produce off the grocery store and make country wine, I walk with grand kids and see the mulberries are close to ripe by the highway.
* I like to cook so I always make changes. The current frame of mind is to look at wine as building blocks; something for the yeast to ferment (a sugar source), and something with acids (pH), and something with good aroma, and something from the freezer which ought to get used to make space, and something which contributes long flavor notes (ex crab apple/tannin). An example is ”peach-an-rhubarb”. I cook so I frequently make pies to test flavor combinations.

Welcome to WMT.
THank you for the welcome

Seeting this is a juice kit section of the forum, My questions about juice and mixing juices is all about the kits or the kit juice we can buy.

Sorry, I got too much into shorthand too early!

K-meta is our (WMT) abbreviation for Potassium (atomic letter "K") Metabisulfite, which is what Campden tablets contain. K-meta in powder form is used in larger batches. Because so little is required (1/4 tsp for 5 or 6 gallons), for small batches Campden tablets work well, as each tablet is designed for 1 gallon wine.

Potassium sorbate is used commercially as a preservative. In winemaking, when used in conjunction with K-meta, it prevents a renewed fermentation. If you are backsweetening a wine, you need sorbate else the yeast will start eating the added sugar, restarting the fermentation. If you are not backsweetening, sorbate is completely unnecessary. However, you want to add the K-meta (powder or Campden) as it is an antioxidant and preservative for wine.

Kits include sorbate for dry wines as a fail-safe for folks that bottle their wine before fermentation is 100% complete, to avoid making 25 small volcanoes -- fermentation produces CO2 and when it happens in the bottle, it blows corks.

Note -- sorbate does NOT stop an active fermentation. It merely prevents a renewed fermentation.

Seeting this is a juice kit section of the forum, My questions about juice and mixing juices is all about the kits or the kit juice we can buy.
This forum (kit winemaking) is your best choice, although you'll find the beginner forum contains the answers to questions you may not yet know to ask.

I suggest you read the posts in the first few pages of the kit wine, beginner, and general forums. Don't read everything (that could take weeks), but look at titles that sound interesting, and read the original post and as many answers as are interesting.

For the most part, winemaking is winemaking. You can find value in all the winemaking forums. However, different "types" of winemaking have their own nuances, so we have separate forums to focus on those nuances. If you have a question specific to kits, the kit wine forum is the best place to get answers. If you're crossing boundaries, general winemaking may be a better choice. But no one gets fussed if a question is posted in the "wrong" place.

The search button in the upper right corner may help you get answers, although general questions can produce a LOT of posts. Sorting through the posts may not work well.

Couple more questions:
2, Do you put the additives included in the kit in your wine?

Thank you in advance.

Enjoy Life, Robin

1.Where do most folks buy their juice for wine? Local Supplier, or vineyard, or online
2, Do you put the additives included in the kit in your wine? Only Oak, Kmeta
3. Do you ever make changes to the wine by adding more sugar for instance? I think most people tweak their wine process, after some experience winemaking. Otherwise, follow the directions supplied.
4, Have you ever combined kits to create a unique blend? I find it best to blend wines after single variety fermentation is completed, and aged for a few months. Use measurement beakers. Look on the internet for proven blend ratios. Experiment to taste and then adjust the numbers for blending larger volumes of wine.

Latest posts

Back