Forest fire wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mumptia

Reaction score
Hey everyone, got a new one for you all.
I live in Northern Alberta Canada and last Monday I was evacuated from my town because of an 815000 acre forest fire. This froggen fire has a perimeter of 360 miles.
Readon for my post is that on the night I was evacuated I was supposed to rack my old vine zinfandel. I wasn't in a great hurry to rack it because I knew it was still working pretty good. I had a day or so grace so I decided to wait.
Well my oh my we were evacuated 7 days ago and the first thing I looked tonight when we were allowed back home was at was my batch. It was finished working and smelled great so I followed the instructions and added in what I was supposed to do 7 days ago.
I think it will still turn out.
Anyone ever leave a batch this long after they should have?
My primary is a bucket with a loose fitting lid laid on top.
Any thoughts?

The forest fire is a new twist on a common occurrence. Leaving your wine in the primary longer that it’s “supposed” to be there... you’re fine. Lots of co2 in there to protect the wine. And, some winemakers do Extended Macerations with their wine, leaving the wine on the skins for weeks to extract all the goodies the skins have to offer.

I did an OVZ from fresh grapes last year and wish I had given it an additional week or two in the primary. Needs a little more color and tannin for my tastes.

Last edited:
The forest fire is a new twist on a common occurrence. Leaving your wine in the primary longer that it’s “supposed” to be there... you’re fine. Lots of co2 in there to protect the wine. And, some winemakers do Extended Macerations with their wine, leaving the wine on the skins for weeks to extra all the goodies the skins have to offer.

I did an OVZ from fresh grapes last year and wish I had given it an additional week or two in the primary. Needs a little more color and tannin for my tastes.
That's great to hear. Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Back