For what it's worth...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Philosopher

Amateur
Reaction score
What I like about my town:

1. You come up to the UPS driver at the gas station, he recognizes you and tells you he just left your house. You tell him you were going to catch him, and save him a stop. He thanks you.
2. The owner of the liquor store calls you and tells you that the lady who buys a gallon of wine a week will be happy to save her empties for you.
3. The City Clerk calls and tells you that the vehicle registration you dropped of on Monday, has been recorded at the County Seat and the courier just dropped it off. If you need it before Thursday, they'll be closed tomorrow, and she'll keep Town Hall open a few extra minutes, if you want to run down and pick it up.
4. You lock your car before going shopping, and drop your keys, unnoticed. You come back in a few hours, and find yourself locked out of your car. Then you notice someone has hung your keys in the small tree next to your car on the parking strip.
5. You see a sign on a phone pole that says, "Rummage Sale - All Items Free"

Bless this place. No, wait...it already has been blessed.

Ahhh, the joys of a small town. There are some small businesses in larger towns that are run the same way. Then of course there are the rest. Sign says open at 10:00 (or was it 9:30?), but no sign of staff at 10:50 or 11:15.

Steve

Sort of like that here in my town even though most of my state isnt like that. When we first moved here we went to our very local Grocery store just to pick up a few supplies and we were tired. This place was a few bucks more but right around the corner literally. when we approached the clerk she asked us if wanted to start a tab! I had no idea anywhere in the world still did that besides a bar where your sitting 3' away and if you tried to make it out of the bar youd be a hurtin! I was blown away by this.

I leave me keys in car and dont lock italways. I havent lock my house in 15 years. UPS driver knows my dog by name and always throws the ball for her.
Sign on pole "2nd Annual Glass show and wine tasting at Purple house in Glacier Nov 15th, 10 to 6 featuring Glass by Kristen and wine by Mike. Debbies Delite II(Cab Sauv) and Redhead Reisling will be shared along with several other favorites" no address needed or last names.

Cascade Mountains version of Shangri-La. Ya I borrowed that from OP

In alot of ways, I too have been fortunate to live here. Except for the damn "cursed cold" during the winters, this too is a wonderful place to live. I'm with Mike in that I haven't locked my doors in years. In fact, no kidding, I just put a door handle on my door. Haven't had one since we build this cabin almost 4 yrs ago.

My "people" are from Milwaukee WI. I read their paper everyday and alot of what I read scares the hell out of me.

I enjoy living in a place where I know my neighbors and my fellow Alaskans got my back. And, I have theirs. I like it like that.
Troy

I leave me keys in car and dont lock italways. I havent lock my house in 15 years. UPS driver knows my dog by name and always throws the ball for her.
Sign on pole "2nd Annual Glass show and wine tasting at Purple house in Glacier Nov 15th, 10 to 6 featuring Glass by Kristen and wine by Mike. Debbies Delite II(Cab Sauv) and Redhead Reisling will be shared along with several other favorites" no address needed or last names.

Cascade Mountains version of Shangri-La. Ya I borrowed that from OP
we don't lock things either..

I do own a large dog with big teeth though..

Allie

My "momma cat" shes almost nine years old now, I seen her once touch noses with a full grown Moose. not much protection there. I figured she was brave when she was younger. I used to rent from a gal that had a bunch of horse, so right behind me were all these horses and there would be Curly Q, walking in the corral and hanging with the horses.

I thought I had "seen it all" until the day I seen her walk up to that Moose and touch noses. Go figure.

I am from a small town in Illinois that was as you descibed. It read just like I was home. Now where I am at now is a pleasant small town but I don't trust anyone as far as I could throw a full barrel of wine. They shoot and stab each other even in the small towns here just as much (per capita) as the metro areas. I can't wait till I can blow this cess pool region and head back to the north where it is just plain safer to live. I miss the seasons to. I am going to be in Wisconsin or Northern New England within 5 years if all goes my way.

Sounds nice...

I live in Los Angeles... so I lock everything and trust nobody. :)

I've been to L.A. I'm sorry....

No need to be sorry. I've lived in many places and you take the good with the bad with everything. No place is perfect.

Small towns aren't for me. I'm a private person and didn't like how so many people seemed to be in my business when I lived in one.

Latest posts

Back