For all of you not in the NYC area

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks John. A tall glass of Welch's would go great with that!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Nope, sorry but soggy pizza doesnt do it gor me. Has to be Greek with feta and black olives!!!!

As my friends from Western NY (Rochester/Buffalo) would say "wheres the ranch dressing & Pop???"

Looks like ketchup on toast...

Pizza is supposed to be more than 1" thick, like Vincent said it should be!

85821-1248151046-0.jpg

I see that fork or knife being used also..

if you want a 1 inch thick pizza, you order a Sicilian pie, and you also eat that WITHOUT a knife or fork.

85821-1248151046-0.jpg

So what is that soup sitting in the bottom of the pizza pan?
And is that a stuffed crust?

Last edited:
I'm a Chicago-style deep-dish pizza man myself. Sorry, John, but that pizza in the OP looks like what my mom used to make from the Chief Boyardee box.

Grease? I thought the red things were tomatoes, and the liquid was their juice. Do you think the red things are pepperoni? (Personally, I'd prefer the pepperoni/grease option over the tomato/water option, but then again, I have the metabolism of a hummingbird.)

Paul,
That is definitely pepperoni. Lucky you "hummingbird". That turns my stomach looking at all that grease.
Maybe that should be your new signature, "I prefer the pepperoni/grease option, but then again, I have the metabolism of a hummingbird" :)

Paul,
That is definitely pepperoni.

You are correct, sir! See: http://www.photoblog.com/TommyBowser/2009/07/19/ (I just had to know!)

Lucky you "hummingbird". That turns my stomach looking at all that grease.

Funny, I was staring at the picture, going back and forth in my mind between the pepperoni/grease option and the tomato/juice option. When I saw it as pepperoni, I was hungry, and when I saw it as tomatoes, I was mildly revulsed.

Maybe that should be your new signature, "I prefer the pepperoni/grease option, but then again, I have the metabolism of a hummingbird" :)

Not a bad choice for a signature!

Thanks for setting me straight JohnT. I really thought I enjoyed the Bleu cheese/fontella/dried cherry/duck bacon pizza my buddy made at trout camp last weekend. It obviously was all just a bad dream. I'm going back to over sized Chef Boyardee.

It may look like an over-sized Chef Boyardee Pizza but if that one is a Ray's Pizza from Greenwich Village you would be in for a real taste treat! I agree with JohnT, New York Pizza is real Pizza!

The picture the OP inserted is what I remember NYC pizza looking like in the 1950s. I forget now whether as a young teenager I was initially paying 10 or 15 cents a slice. I do remember at 16 buying 10 cent drafts. New York at that time allowed 18 year olds to drink.

Upstate ny pizza ( no toppings, cause kids won't eat them)
ImageUploadedByWine Making1398810814.192640.jpg

And yes, the boss cuts pizza with scissors!

That pizza in screaming for some topping! It is said, "Man cannot live by cheese and sauce alone."

Latest posts

Back