Other fontana

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobymaria

Junior
Reaction score
Has anyone here used a Fontana wine kit. The instructions are confusing me a little. It says it is a 45 day(6 week) kit. I have a malbec. It was in the primary for 8 days and I racked it to the carboy at 1.01 SG. At 10-11 days it was at .998 per instructions. I added the aditives per instructions. Here's where I am not sure. It says to leave for 10 days, then stir for 3 days twice a day, then wait 18 more days. This ends up being more than 45 days and my 1st 2 steps were at minimum days. Seem like it's too long. I've never used this brand before and cannot find a contact number for them

Go to a thread on this forum untitled Cheap wine Kit's you'll find the answers your looking for there.

Fonana Kits

My first wine kit was Fontaba Cab (Amazon?) Dont worry you will get a acceptable wine for 6X less than you would have paid at store. If you were expecteding a great wine party in 45 days you will be disapointed. Paitience: my last bottles were chewable. I'am not bad mouthing Fontana I'am happy to have had the chance to try and made some great Sangrias with the results.

That Fontana Malbec turned in one of the best wines I've made...cheapest kit, really good wine. Joe's tweaks work! I have another I may start tomorrow.

The tweaks are a little late for you, but try them next time...fun and effective.

I have done several of them with tweaks as well, so look at Joe's posts. I did a Fontana Shiraz for my sister to be ready for Christmas 16 and she loves it. The leftover I blended with a viognier (not fontana) I had ready and produced a wine I feel worthy to enter in a competition (we shall see how it does). I used to create strictly by the instructions but I rather don't anymore....and I'm having a blast.

You were right, it's too late for me to use the tweaks. I'm still not sure about the final directions. After I added the additives/stabilizer, I'm reading that I wait 31 days to bottle, stirring on the 11th-13th days????

Just make sure your wine is degassed and clear don't rush the process those time frames are there to help you along there not etch in stone ,this you'll understand better ad you grow into the process,got it!

I think the times are also there to move you along quickly.....so finish and buy another kit...they are in the business of selling wine kits.

Time will add as much as any other ingredient to your wines.

I also did the Wildberry Shiraz...very berry and that was only using half the Fpack...next time I'll add 3/4 of the Fpack to the primary.

Also did a Cab Sav...but I way overshot my SG...extra tannins, extra oak...made a OK wine, but it isn't a Cab!

Did the Pinot Noir too...forget what I tweaked but it make an OK wine too.

BUT...when you mix that Cab and the Pinot together....that is a very tasty wine, at least to me and the wife.

Latest posts

Back