Fontana Cab

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berry Juice

Berry Juice
Reaction score
Just got in a Fontana Cab and I have been reading posts that say to only use 5 gal of water instead of 6.
How does this work in a 6 gal carboy?
I know I can go buy a 5 gal carboy but didn't want to if possible.

Most are going to do primary in a bucket usually around 7+ gallon capacity, throwing a towel over it or a loose lid. 5 or 6 gallons won't matter there. Then for secondary and bulk aging you want the wine in a carboy topped up to the neck and an airlock on it. A 5 gallon carboy will actually take 5.5 gallons to top off and a 6 gl carboy will take 6.5 gls.

So even if you were to make the kit to 6 gls you would still be short to be able to top off the 6 gl carboy.

I have made the kit both ways and it is better making it to 5 gls. If you make the kit to 5 gl the 6 gl carboy can be used for primary fermentation

You will have airspace if you use the 6 gl carboy for secondary/aging. Some use marbles to take up volume, other use a head space eliminator (search the site).

Good luck

Understood, Maybe I will get another kit and use half on this batch and the rest for next time.

Or you could buy some bottles of cheap cab sauv and top off with that after fermentation.

Last edited:
I just started a 6 gal Fontana cab kit yesterday, any way to save it now that I've already begun 1st fermentation? It's been filled up to the 6 gal mark. Should I add sugar and let it ferment longer? (Super green beginer here, just started wine making and this is my first batch. I just found this website today.)

No let this one go, to try and reset this one , maybe,however once you get to the secondary we can rebuild some of the structure,
At this point can you add tannins or oak? It’s still in the fermentation process, correct?
What was your starting SH?

Last edited:
No let this one go, to try and reset this one , maybe,however once you get to the secondary we can rebuild some of the structure,
At this point can you add tannins or oak? It’s still in the fermentation process, correct?
What was your starting SH?
I've already added oak as part of the beginning process. My SG was 1.086.

Do you have tannins add to it?
so we’re still in the primary , correct?
Then in would add 16 ozs. Of Blackberries tot hat primary. That’s correct warm the fruit through and added it directly in to the fermentation process.

Give it a try . It will work fresh or frozen

I just started a Fontana Cab for Carol and a Shiraz. (ABV. on the cab 13%)
Starting with the Cab, I added 1 tablespoon of wine tannins, half of the oak (the balance will go in the secondary), and a hand full of dried cherries.
in the secondary ill add the balance of the oak chips and that's it.
The shiraz is at 13 % abv. I want this one fruity, so just 1 tablespoon of tannins and a little oak that's IT.

HERE.S SOME FRUIT FOR THOUGHT, both wines were Fontana kits both wine's base tasted very different, HOW?
Always taste the base, the Shiraz was sweet the cab was something else a bit bitter? always remember the base is where you start.

Last edited:
Do you have tannins add to it?
so we’re still in the primary , correct?
Then in would add 16 ozs. Of Blackberries tot hat primary. That’s correct warm the fruit through and added it directly in to the fermentation process.

Give it a try . It will work fresh or frozen
Yes I have some tannin (had to check sorry). How much? Yes still in Primary. Would I smash the blackberries? Would it make it sweet at all?

I just started a Fontana Cab for Carol and a Shiraz. (ABV. on the cab 13%)
Starting with the Cab, I added 1 tablespoon of wine tannins, half of the oak (the balance will go in the secondary), and a hand full of dried cherries.
in the secondary ill add the balance of the oak chips and that's it.
The shiraz is at 13 % abv. I want this one fruity, so just 1 tablespoon of tannins and a little oak that's IT.

HERE.S SOME FRUIT FOR THOUGHT, both wines were Fontana kits both wine's base tasted very different, HOW?
Always taste the base, the Shiraz was sweet the cab was something else a bit bitter? always remember the base is where you start.
What effect do the cherries have on the cab? (Thank your for your help, this has been super helpful in learning all this)

Last edited:
Warm the blackberries up and gently mash the a little, once that’s done add them directly to the mix.
What the cherries will add is a depth of flavor not over powering just in the background, got it?
1 table spoon of tannins directly in to the mix,

Back