Quantcast

Fontana Cab

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Berry Juice

Berry Juice
Reaction score
Just got in a Fontana Cab and I have been reading posts that say to only use 5 gal of water instead of 6.
How does this work in a 6 gal carboy?
I know I can go buy a 5 gal carboy but didn't want to if possible.

pgentile

Still learning
Reaction score
Most are going to do primary in a bucket usually around 7+ gallon capacity, throwing a towel over it or a loose lid. 5 or 6 gallons won't matter there. Then for secondary and bulk aging you want the wine in a carboy topped up to the neck and an airlock on it. A 5 gallon carboy will actually take 5.5 gallons to top off and a 6 gl carboy will take 6.5 gls.

So even if you were to make the kit to 6 gls you would still be short to be able to top off the 6 gl carboy.

I have made the kit both ways and it is better making it to 5 gls. If you make the kit to 5 gl the 6 gl carboy can be used for primary fermentation

You will have airspace if you use the 6 gl carboy for secondary/aging. Some use marbles to take up volume, other use a head space eliminator (search the site).

Good luck

Berry Juice

Berry Juice
Reaction score
Understood, Maybe I will get another kit and use half on this batch and the rest for next time.

pgentile

Still learning
Reaction score
Or you could buy some bottles of cheap cab sauv and top off with that after fermentation.

Last edited:

Latest posts